Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Burning OIl?

Simon W

Barcelona
I've covered 4k in my 993 and have used up almost 1litre of Mobil 1. Is this unusual? Often the oil doesn't appear to have reduced very far on the dip stick but the gauge doesn't register until I top it up. I don't want to over fill it, but definitley don't want to run too low. What do people find is average. The car's covered 48k. Is it just that the oil is thin enough to slip through and burn?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 10922

Sounds about right Simon.

I use about 1/4 litre every 1000 miles.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 10923

The manual will tell you that oil use of up to about a litre every 1000 miles is perfectly normal. Oil use is dependent upon a number of factors eg .

1. How the car was run in. If the original owner stuck rigidly to the running-in rev limit and drove very carefully it will tend to use less oil later in life. Not very scientific but it does seem to be the case !

2. How you use the car. If you do lots of short journeys and traffic light stop / starts etc the car will tend to use more oil than for lower rev motorway cruising.

I would say that 1 litre used in 4000 miles is exceptionally good going ! Definitely nothing to be worried about !

As the engine wears it will inevitably use more oil and it is generally recommended that with older engines you should use a conventional mineral or semi synthetic oil rather than a fully synthetic oil as the synthetic stuff can break down the accumulated goo in the engine leading to leaks. Again you don't need to worry about this given the relative youth of your car.

The layout of the engine means that oil can seep through into the barrels if the car is left standing for a few days. This burns off when the car is started and is often why you get a puff of smoke on start-up. Once again if this clears within a couple of minutes you have nothing to worry about.

I wouldn't worry too much about the oil guage - notoriously unreliable things ! Go by the dipstick. Generally I ignore my own advice here and when the guage hits the top of the red zone I put a litre of oil in which takes it back up to three quarters of the way up the guage !

Hope this helps

Jamie

Migration info. Legacy thread was 10925

Appreciate that advice. Thanks.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 10926

I used 1 litre in 600 miles, which is why my engine is currently being rebuilt! Always a good excuse to improve performance :D

Migration info. Legacy thread was 10927

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Milno
Back