Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Where do we stand on the Cayenne?

Stevie

Monza
Being new to the forum I was keen to find out the general tide of opinion from the 911 purists on the Cayenne?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 9671

Cayenne S is underpowered, Turbo is a beast. However neither of them are serious off roaders and neither are sports cars either, they are at best an expensive compromise (sorry to any Cayenne buyers).

In my opinion for what it's worth anyone thinking of buying a new Cayenne S would be better off buying a Range Rover, it's similar performance on road and much much better off road and if a Turbo was on your shopping list, consider a GT3 and a Land Rover Defender then you can have one of the best sports cars ever made and one of the best four wheel drives.

And yes I have put my money where my mouth is, we are lucky enough to have a GT3 (Mine) and a Defender (her's).

Migration info. Legacy thread was 9672

With a new 6 cylinder model out next year, pricing gets it in amongst a larger competitive pack. Porschefiles however seems concerned that our beloved marque becomes an SUV firm with a struggling sportscar division overnight. Whilst in a minority, I actually like the look of the cayenne in comparison to the toerag and the ML but I still think that BM's X5 is the george clooney of the bunch. Paul's observation on the offroad front is spot on in that nothing touches range rover (when they work) If I had thirtyish K to go on a 4wd, then the new 6 cylinder would get my dosh as I dont think the new model Range Rover 2nd hands are down there yet.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 9673

Apart from the fact that the Cayenne looks a bit odd (and I'm being nice here) it seems to have succeeded in becoming a very desirable SUV. The Turbo in particular! If I needed a tow/off-road/family vehicle I would definitely consider one.

But Porsche, please please don't start making 4-door family cars!!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 9674

There is a rumour that porsche will make a saloon model below the boxster price range. Cayenne is best SUV on the road(especially turbo) but doesn't conform at all to the brand's illustrious racing history!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 9679

Paul D - I don't know what they do to the RR in the UAE but the Cayenne S will p all over it (on road) where lets face it 99% of them will be driven (in the UK). Its 2 seconds to 100kph quicker (7.2 in tip spec v 9.2) and has a top speed of 150mph to the RR's 130. Not what I'd call comparable and not what I'd call under powered. I think you've been too used to the GT3

Test drove them both and the RR still responds like a tractor. The S has better handling, will cost ovr 10k less than the comparable RR and will not depreciate like the preverbial led zep. Take delivery of the S in March, what more could the missus want for the school run.

I know you purist hate it but looking at some of the comments in this forum I don't think the 993 boys (and girls) have ever forgiven us 996 owners for buying a car that's cooled by water. What chance is there for a 996/Cayenne S owner, I think I'll be black balled after my 1st post for bringing this once great company crashing to its knees.

PS. To the powers that be - any chance of a spell checker? my smelling and typos r abismall

Migration info. Legacy thread was 9686

Sub, you need to let "Admin" know about your request for a spell checker. There is a forum specially for feedback on the site

PS No worries about being blackballed. You might get a bit of gentle ribbing but we are a friendly lot here :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 9688

I don't like 4x4 in general, but if I was to have one, the Cayenne will by far be the best choice. I really don't know why people like the RR other than just expensive. Its hopelessly unreliable, badly made, poor value for money when it comes to performance, and if people thinks the Cayenne is not pretty, just look at the RR. It's like a pumped up Metro!! Sorry if I offended any body.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 9698

I test drove the RR, Cayenne and the X5 a while ago when looking for a replacement car for 'err indoors. Without doubt the X5 (I'm afraid to say) won hands down on price, performance,handling and style.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 9703

In the back of Evo magazine they have a lap test - similar to Top Gear's Stig session, and the Turbo Cayenne laps as fast as the M3 :D

Good quote for Beemer owners "your car laps as fast as a truck"!!

PS Evo also rates the much overlooked Subaru Forester very highly -

LJ

Migration info. Legacy thread was 9704

The X5 is more of a road car, I can't remmember which motor programme that tested X5, RR and some other 4x4 in the similar class, but no Cayenne. They found that RR was better off road, but I'm sure the Cayenne is very good off road as well as on road.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 9708

My take's a little different: I still fail to see the point of an SUV that drives like a sports car. If you want a car that drives like a sports car, buy one. If you want an SUV, buy one of those. When I'm in a big vehicle such as an SUV, high off the ground, the last thing I want to do is start chucking it around, and I would imagine the pax will feel the same way.

My view, for what it's worth, is that the Cayenne answers a question no-one is asking. which suggests it's simply a cynical brand extension exercise. Sad day for Porsche.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 9710

Sad day for Porsche indeed. They still build good cars (so does Merc, BMW, VW etc, etc), but unfortunately they've lost the "X" factor that lead us to Porsche in the first place.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 9712

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Butzi on 17 October 2003

The X5 is more of a road car, I can't remmember which motor programme that tested X5, RR and some other 4x4 in the similar class, but no Cayenne. They found that RR was better off road, but I'm sure the Cayenne is very good off road as well as on road.
I think that was Drivel, sorry that should be "Driven"!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 9714

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by manek on 17 October 2003

My take's a little different: I still fail to see the point of an SUV that drives like a sports car. If you want a car that drives like a sports car, buy one. If you want an SUV, buy one of those. When I'm in a big vehicle such as an SUV, high off the ground, the last thing I want to do is start chucking it around, and I would image the pax will feel the same way.

My view, for what it's worth, is that the Cayenne answers a question no-one is asking. which suggests it's simply a cynical brand extension exercise. Sad day for Porsche.

I agree with Manek (except for the use of "SUV" which makes us sound like American's!!! :( )

However, if you want a truely fast 4x4 then look no further than the Brabus ML - 7.3 V12 and officially the fastest 4x4 in the world!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 9715

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tobytobytoby
Back