Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Best Radar detector

redbob

Hi Guys it's nice to be a member of this group

Which radar detector would you recommend for a 911. I've heard the roadangel is good..but i know theres alot of bu****** spoken about detectors...incorrect reviews by different websites etc., I'm getting a 911 shortly and would like one installed from day one, I've already opted for the cassette rack to be changed for a cubby hole as I'm getting a 6cd changer and hope to use the cubby hole to house the radar detector,

RedBob

Migration info. Legacy thread was 8797

Last month's (maybe this months'?) RIDE magazine did a great review - have a look at that and remember that things that matter on bikes (like size and water-resistance) don't apply, so by reading the individual tests you can have all the info. They went to the extent of riding towards and from a radar gun and testing the range of each system, how many false alarms etc. so it is really comprehensive.

- enjoy!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 8803

Redbob,

The Road Angel is a very good GPS device for permenant speed camera's, SPECS etc but as a radar detector, it sucks!! Get yourself a proper device, my opinion the best ones are (in my preference)

- Valentine One (Expensive, but the Radar Detector daddy!)

- Bel 550 (Well priced, excellent spec)

- Bel 330 (Well priced, as good as 550 but distance not quite as good)

- Snooper 815

Migration info. Legacy thread was 8842

Redbob, remember that the Radar detector will not pick up the new SPECs camera's, so get yourself a Road Angel or eqivilant as well.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 8855

Chaps

Have to say that the Origin B2 is a top bit of kit and works very very well. For example, at the bottom of the M1 (just before the M25, around the M10 junction), it goes off with a SPECS warning. I emailed the guys to say what's this as it;s the first I heard of it. Apprently, they asked the cops who said that it is not active, but the camera's are there - hence the guys have kept it on as I doubt the cops will let them know when it does get turned on. This is the kind of thing I like. I love the way it gives me plenty of warning, it;s never missed one yet and works very very well.

And it's saved me at least three to four times - cannot recommend it highly enough.

Andy

Migration info. Legacy thread was 8859

I'm about to get a review sample of that Cheetah radar device -- OK, not GPS based but in conjunction with a GPS widget, it could be worthwhile, since it's quite discreet. Expect to see the review on Another Forum (oh, OK, Pistonheads) in the next couple of weeks.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 8885

I was all set to get the PDA setup until I read the review of the origin B2. It has solution to all the things I did'nt like about the road angel that I sent back. I might have to go and buy - even though £400 is alot of cash

No deals going I assume as a result of the on site advert Phil

Migration info. Legacy thread was 8891

Johnny - what didn't you like about the Road Angel?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 8900

The Road Angel GPS has always been good for me, the lazar add on is crap tho!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 8903

Best radar detector at the mo' is the Origin b2 - click on the banner (please!) at the top of this page for more info.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 8904

On this GPS radar detector lark!

Has anyone tried to link one of the GPS Road Angel type units with A PDA complete with Tom Tom navigation software to get a combined system ?

I believe HOLUX UK do some kind of combined bundle but has anyone tried such a system?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 8909

I would if possible like a detector that is inconspicous thats why I like the appeal of the cheetah ...but I dont know how good it is yet.......I may plumb for the valentine which can be fitted fairly well to a porsche ...any of you guys got any pics of your detectors fitted in the car.........it may be the best detector around but who wants a £$%"£%$ alarm clock on top of their dashboard.

RedboB

Migration info. Legacy thread was 8919

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drthein
Back