Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Satnav installation

manek

I'm THIS close to buying an Alpine satnav/MP3 kit for the 993 to replace the ancient Sony outfit. Trouble is, some vendors say I need a widget called a speed pulse generator which tells the unit how fast the car is going, while Porsche Rivervale and a couple of other ICE shops reckon I can take a feed off the speedo instead.

Should I install this myself or get the local ICE outlet to do it? Either way, will I need this extra widget or can the required signal be obtained off the speedo? Valuable experience much appreciated...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 8493

I got an Alpine unit fitted to my 993 and don't remember having to pay extra for a pulse generator.

I seem to remember it being an option mentioned in the manual. I think it's so the unit can still work out where you are when you're out of contact with the satellites. I don't know if it's essential though.

Colin

Migration info. Legacy thread was 8511

Where did you get yours fitted? I'm hunting around for a reliable place to get it done. Or is it even feasible to do it myself? I've installed plenty of car audio kit before but never a satnav -- and never in a Porsche.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 8523

PS: 199 posts!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 8524

Seem to be posting to myself here!

Anyway, the kit has arrived, and I've asked Rivervale Porsche to fit it on the grounds that, while they may not have done an Alpine install before, they know where the bits to be connected up are. I took one look at the massive wiring loom and the installation manual's instruction to connect up to the handbrake/reversing light switch -- and ran away!

<bogus nostalgia>It's the first time I've ever had to ask someone else to fit a car radio. What happened to the days when it was one lead to the battery, one to the aerial and a couple to the speakers? </bogus nostalgia>

Migration info. Legacy thread was 8708

I think posting to yourself is the second sign of madness, after talking to yourself...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 8712

Which kit did you get Manek?

Thinking of treating mine at some point. I was lookin in a slightly different direction with the Dell Axim as a PDA and GPS System. Uses TomTom GPS and its about GBP 450.00

Migration info. Legacy thread was 8715

If it's not too late, check out my Alpine satnav/ colour LCD screen installation. You might like to do something similar:

flipscreen.jpg

Migration info. Legacy thread was 8716

The pulse generator as I remember takes an analogue signal and changes it to a digital signal for the speed of the car. Even though most modern cars have digital speedo signals you may need this widget because the installer can't tap into the bit he needs to (wow, I may be going mad but I know what I'm saying!)

On my 2001 BMW I needed one for my VDO system - infact I think I still have it sitting in my desk at work, not sure if it is any use to you though?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 8718

That's a very neat installation Graham - do know a good installer you can recommend or was it a DIY job?

BTW Manek - you need to change your signature now you've got your 3 stars!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 8719

I got the Alpine 1-DIN combo -- INA-N333R + CHA-S634 CD changer (MP3 compatible). Alas, Rivervale can't fit it till next Thursday and I'm driving down to Cornwall on Saturday. It's just what I need...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 8720

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Hendo on 25 September 2003

Which kit did you get Manek?

Thinking of treating mine at some point. I was lookin in a slightly different direction with the Dell Axim as a PDA and GPS System. Uses TomTom GPS and its about GBP 450.00
Just gone the same route Hendo, had an Ipaq knocking around and have just bought a compaq GPS jacket. It's great because I can transfer between cars.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 8725

Beware, from what I hear from my brother the Tom Tom software has problems. To be fair, so do all sat nav systems, they can all be fooled by three point turns and old maps and so on.

I think that a transferable system is the way to go though.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 8731

The only real pause I had when choosing my setup was having to ask myself how long I was going to keep the car, and would I gt full value out of spending somewhere north of a grand. Hopefully, when selling, the satnav system should add SOME value...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 8733

I've got a Garmin GPS V. Just plug it into your cigarette lighter, (eats batteries!) programme in your destination, and it gives you turn by turn navigation... just as accurate as any of the more expensive integrated units, and transferable from vehicle to vehicle in seconds. I find it invaluable on my bike too. Admittedly not as smart a job as Graham Mitchell's but at about £350 plus vat.... it does everything you need. Comes with all software and full European map set on CD, so you can plan all your routes on your PC too.

Will

Migration info. Legacy thread was 8734

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sdj
Back