Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

This will make you laugh

Stewart Sadler

Posted this on the Lancia Integrale forum:

Oh well, I've done it! Bought a silver manual 993 carrera 2 with 22,000 miles. What a bloody fantastic car, I cant imagine what the turbo must be like.

993 Evo 2 Sound 10 0 Build 10 0 Looks 10 9 Handling ?still practicing 8 Interest from women 10+ 1
Any tips on how to drive the 993 fast would be appreciated
evo 2 is for sale £10,000

Replies:

1 Horrible !!!

Porches are for people with plenty money and no imagination.
How much was it so we can all comment on what you should have bought ?

------------------------------------------------

2"Any tips on how to drive a 993 fast appreciated" How about,off a cliff? you ponce.

-----------------------------------------

3 "I have a problem with Porsches. They're wonderful cars, but I know I could never live with one. Somehow, the typical Porsche people - and I wish them no ill - are not, I feel, my kind of people."

- Rowan Atkinson

--------------------------------------------

4 an alternative view:

Porsches are for people who want fast, reliable cars that they can use without having to assume that the dash won't die at any given moment, grommet 4.1221/a.231 won't perish and cause the fuel to piss out everywhere and the shell won't crack.
Don't get me wrong, i love Integrales but they're not the most practical car to use everyday are they.... I'm sure some enthusiasts don't have a problem using it everyday but not everyone's the same.
As an everyday supercar I think that Porsches are the best you can get unless you want an M3 (boring) or one of these new uber-Mercs.
All IMHO of course.
Dan

--------------------------------

5 "...As an everyday supercar I think that Porsches are the best you can get"

I'd agree with that, they can't be beaten as an every day supercar.
However, you require an exceedingly high level of concentration at all times when you're driving them hard, and in the wet they are completely useless (even if you do use the traction control).
In the 6 weeks that I owned my GT3 I must have touched cloth half a dozen times, all in situations where the Integrale wouldn't have faultered in the slightest.
Regards
Derek

----------------------------

6 Stewart well done - ignore the sh*tty comments. You will have great fun, the 993 is the last of the great 911's with the air cooled flat six, enjoy it you'll love it. I really dunno why ppl get so ***** over the Grale, yes its a great car but there are other great cars like the one you have just bought. Well done again.

7 Stewart

- i like them mate (bun fight about to happen any time again?) - went to porsche club uks bash in oxford last weekend - really good (but a few too many posers oposed to drivers.... havent seen so many sad sunglasses and golfing outfits in ages - dont become one of these!!!)
2wd - and air cooled - class! 4wd spoils them - if you want 4wd buy a grale!
its all about sh*tting yourself up in a 911(993)! pick roads with lots of space and be brave (lift off at your peril!!!) - untill you get used to it, slow it down well before the corner to give you more time to throttle it out - leave it too late and your ass will be in the hedge - wet weather more fun!
go and buy an old beetle to practice with!!! oh and deflate the back tyres!! - we did this when we were kids madness at 30mph completely sidewards! (didnt last long as you can imagine)
964 Comes second to the grale in a mag article i have - but horses for courses thing

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/m.fawcett23/car_page_1.htm
Thinking of doing a 911 RS 2.7 replica for track days with my brother in law - bit lighter and rawer than the 993 but not an everyday car.
Stick with it - but i'd still keep the evo if i was you......

----------------------

8 <<Oh well, I've done it! Bought a silver manual 993 carrera 2 with 22,000 miles. What a bloody fantastic car, I cant imagine what the turbo must be like.>>

As you say Stewart, bloody fantastic car! In fact the build quality is so good that Porsche came this close to going bankrupt by building it this way as production costs were indeed skyhigh!
What I like about the Non Turbo Porsches is the throttle response which makes it possible to very accurately steer it with your right foot. Forget about the turbo's, they make great Autobahn stormers but lack the nimbleness of the NA cars.
Just my opinion?......not quite, Walther Röhrl rates the GT3 higher than the turboed GT2.
P.S. I have a great book on the evolution of Porsche's air cooled six engine, it contains great info on the 993's engine evolutionsd and even comes with a CD soundtrack ranging from '73 RS - 94 GT2. If interested I can check the ISBN for you
Have fun!
cheers,
Evoderby

Migration info. Legacy thread was 7921

i have that edition of the magazine that that link points to. that book sounds good too.

couldnt get that isbn number could you stewart? :)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 7925

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Max V
Back