Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Tiptronic question

hman

I need to buy an automatic and like the tiptronic mode. I noticed that on the 911 and Boxster the shift controls are only on the steering wheel and not on the gearshift. Has anyone had a problem with aggressive driving because the steering wheel is turned and there is no gearshift control?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 6397

My 993 Tip has both - I'm sure that the 996 does as well!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 6403

My 993 cab has both too. I'd be surprised that cars have only steering wheel change. The only single change tip I've driven was an early 968 loan car and that was gear lever.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 6411

I'm over to Lindbrook later to pick up the 993, I'll check a 996 out!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 6418

Yeah its the same with the 996, you can push the lever up and down to up and downshift.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 6424

Hman,

Why do you need an automatic?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 6446

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by noony on 24 July 2003

Yeah its the same with the 996, you can push the lever up and down to up and downshift.
Are you sure??? I looked into a 996 at Lindbrook earlier today and the layout of the box is VERY different from my 993. It's in the shape of a J, and it does appear that the only way to select gears when in "M" is via the steering wheel.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 6462

I read it in an official porsche thingy, so I guess so.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 6473

I'll give Lindbrook a call to see if we can clear this up (unless someone on here has a 996 tip), but I just couldn't see anywhere for the stick to move to so as to change gear when in the M position!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 6475

I've got a 996 TIP and there not any controls on the gear shift as on the 993, only on the steering wheel. Never had any problem on fast driving and controls

Migration info. Legacy thread was 6480

Why would anyone want to change gear while turning a corner. I tried that at the "Handling Day" and nearly ended up in the undergrowth. I won't do that again!!!!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 6484

Need an auto so my wife can drive occasionally. She's not willing to learn. Anyway on the web site, the picture of the shifter shows a J shape to get to M mode and only the wheel has controls. I just want to know if I do drive agressively, that it is still easy enough to downshift quickly.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 6508

hman

Mr Balls' comment very valid. In the 9 months I've had mine, I've never used the gearshift tip (even though I've got it). I guess if I found I needed to shift with the steering wheel upside down, I'd just take the view that either I'm in the middle of serious trouble, or serious trouble was about to pop by and say hi.

:)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 6511

I big time agree with Mark and James, never made quick gear changes during full or half lock cornering. I find that when I what to be in full control of the car and get the full driver experience the gearshift tip is excellent - faster I think than a manual change almost like SMG.

Regards

Migration info. Legacy thread was 6514

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yewcorner
Back