Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

'77 911 2.7 K-Jet hot starting problem

John Brewin

My '77 911 Targa 2.7 with K-Jetronic starts perfectly from cold and after being switched off briefly from hot. If, however, it is left from hot for eg. 15 mins. or more, when I come to restart it requires several prolonged spins on the starter and then only picks up on one or two cylinders for a few moments before finally spluttering into life on all 6. In an effort to improve things I have replaced the distributor cap, rotor and HT leads and also fitted a Pertronix Ignitor 2 ignition module in the distributor (all correctly timed up etc. - an excellent addition by the way!). So I'm as sure as I can be that the problem is not ignition related (s'pose it could be the CDS or coil?). Suspect the K-Jetronic system - but is it flooding or starving and if so why? Any theories gratefully received.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 6236

Hi

I know this a while ago, but was this the air flow senor, my mates 911 started doing the same thing. Starts from cold then once warms doesn't really start again trying to find out what the prob is.

Steve

[email protected]

Migration info. Legacy thread was 84949

Don't take this the wrong way but is there a ghost in the machine? This is the second post that has been dragged up from the bottom of some bottomless pit this afternoon.

Bit of an odd post to pick for your first ever post: Say hello and introduce yourself :?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 84972

All K jet systems rely on a holding pressure for fuel once the engine has stopped. Anything which leaks this pressure can cause fuel evapouration issues on re starting from hot. Injectors, fuel pump check valves, etc need to be checked to rule out poss faults. Try a fuel pressure test left for approx 30 mins.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 85094

I also have a Mk1 Golf GTI and this is a classical problem on that model of car, which also uses the K-Jetronic injection system. As the fuel injectors age, they start to leak fuel. As electech has mentioned, the K-Jet system relies on a holding pressure which is obviously then lost when the injectors leak. The reluctance to start after 15 mins to approx 2 hours is due the leaking injectors effectively giving the engine too much fuel to start. A start within the 15 mins doesn't have the over supply problem, and on the other end of the spectrum, the leaked fuel would have evapourated away.

Solution - new injectors. From memory they are not that expensive (on the GTI, but the Porker ones might be!!)

Hope this helps.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 85145

I am having the exact same problem on my '77 Carerra 3.0, have you managed to find out what the issue was?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back