Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Juice-free 993

manek

Montreal
Just as an update, I've just heard that the loss of battery charge on Sunday evening on my way home was due to a failed alternator. A new one is expected to arrive at Addspeed tomorrow so I'll have the car by the weekend -- and the cost will be covered by Autobahn's 12-month parts warranty.

Could have been worse...and I should get a valeted car back.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 5860

Manek,

Do I remember you saying that you got no warning light on the dash when the alternator failed ? That is unusual as the battery warning light in the middle of the temp and oil pressure guage should light if the battery is getting no charge (mine did). The only thing that springs to mind is that the brightness seems to fluctuate with engine revs, so I only noticed the light when sitting at traffic lights or moving v. slowly and gradually as I picked up speed the light dimmed - I suppose if you were travelling at motorway speed it's possible that it was so dim that you didn't notice it ? Either way it would be worth getting Addspeed to check that the warning light is functioning properly, particularly as it's under warranty !

Migration info. Legacy thread was 5862

Jamie,

There was no warning that I could see, though the sun shining onto the dash made all indications hard to spot, apart from when the big warning ! lit up. interestingly, the first sign that something was wrong was when the ABS light came on, followed swiftly by the speedo suddenly dying. Half a mile later, I pulled in at the first available point, switched off to consult the manual and of course I couldn't start it again. Green Flag time.

Thanks for your comment though. I called Keith at Addspeed and he said that they have checked the warning lamp but will do so again. He reckoned that if the diode that switches on the warning lamp failed with the rest of the alternator also failed, then the lamp wouldn't light. Something like that anyway... :)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 5873

Funny that, my engine started mis-firing before any of the other electrical bits went off. Actually I turned off the radio, the heater, and the windscreen wipers and it recovered enough to get me the 3 miles to my girlfriend's house before dying completely. Letting it sit for a couple of hours plus a quick boost from the AA gave me just enough juice to get it the 8 miles to JZ (or within 100yds of it anyway !) I suppose all the extra electronic gizmos on a 993 draw that much more power.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 5878

It was odd -- especially when I went to clear the bugs off the windscreen just after the first warning came on. Wipers very slow and the car suddenly slowing down were the first clues I had that it was an electricity shortage problem. Reckon I just made it to the layby...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 5879

Way hay!

Tomorrow morning, I pick it up again -- apparently there's a bit of a shortage of alternators right now, plus the original was over-charging on it's way out, which blew the warning indicator circuit in the clock (wise words from Jamie to check that, thanks!), which means I needed a new clock too, according to Keith at Addspeed. Can't wait - -especially since I had to get to Goodwood by public transport today.

There was one original 1939 Porsche -- no, I can tell you don't want to see the pictures... :D

Migration info. Legacy thread was 6051

Are you sure? 356 Roadster no. 1 was built in 1948, is it the beetle concept or something?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 6059

Nope, it was deffo not a 356 but a pre-production jobbie, labelled as 1939 so I guess the owner ought to know what it is. It was very odd-looking, all curvy...

...and my car's pretty fine too though the airbag warning light stays on for a minute or two after starting, which may be a detector fault or a connector problem. Addspeed's mechanic Paul reckoned airbag mechs themselves rarely fail but they'd take another look when their diagnostic computer returns from being repaired (I didn't laugh).

if(Document.layers){Document.captureevents(event.MOUSEUP);}Document.onmouseup=PrxOMUp;

Migration info. Legacy thread was 6071

window.open=NS_ActualOpen;
Sheesh

that 993 of yours seems to be in the wars - alternator, a/c....you must be getting some value out of that warranty!!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 6275

Might as well get it sorted while it's free!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 6282

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Steamy
Back