Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Oil level thing

911UK

Administrator
Staff member
Am I right in saying that the oil level gauge is completely useless? Having checked the dip stick level (while warm and engine running) I know the level and the pressure is OK, but the gauge spends most of it's time in the red and only goes to the mid point when parked on a slight slope. Sender bust? I seem to remember something similar on my previous 993.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 5680

Phil. I think you are right. Everyone seems to have problems with the oil level guage. I think replacing the sender is a real pain as well.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 5681

I found the difference between being in the red and a level needle seems to be less than half a litre of oil. Seems a little sensitive...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 5684

Maybe it needs a little drop then.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 5685

I've topped mine up twice in a 1000 miles - just under half a litre. The guage just lets you know when to check the dipstick. It is a little disconcerting to see it in the red but I guess you get used to it. I try and have a look at the guage while at idle after a run out. I've heard that 911's all have an individual (apetite) thirst for oil, so I think that after a while you get an idea of what your oil consumption will be.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 5687

I top mine up every 750-1000 miles or so, and it takes around 1/4 -1/2 a litre to bring to a suitable level.

The oil really does need to be quite warm before you get a good reading with the Oil Level Gauge. I was told by the guys in Belfast when I bought the car that it needs to have a good run and then leave to idle for about 5-10 mins before you get an accurate reading.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 5688

Phil,

I agree with all of the above. My guage spends most of its time (when driving) showing empty. The only time you get a reading is sitting at traffic lights with a hot engine. It is slightly disconcerting and I forget the number of times I've done a double take looking at a row of dials all in the red ! It's just one of those quirks that makes Porsche ownership an 'experience'. I've realised that my car takes about a litre of oil every 1000 to 1500 miles and the rest of the time I pretty much ignore what the guages are telling me.

(I think that brings up my double century - where's that extra McDonalds star Phil ?)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 5711

The only time that you can get a reasonably accurate (although often pessimistic) reading is when the car is stationary at idle after a good warm up (with oil temp gauge into the second section). It will not read whilst in motion.

I find my gives different reading at successive stops on the same journey!?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 5721

Oh, forgot to mention also that its not a great idea to leave it idling for long periods, or any continuous revs for that matter.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 5722

Providing my engine's hot, and the car is idling on a level surface, the gauge shows an accurate representation of what's on the dipstick. Guess they just don't build 'em like they used to! :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 5728

Thanks chaps, I'm a little less concerned now!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 5761

Second all of the above except to say an accurate reading can be had on the dipstick after idling for two minutes , no need for ten . It shouldn't hurt the engine to idle for a long length of time as they were tested in the heat of the desert . However it shouldn't be left to idle from cold for too long and generally don't leave it idling unless you have to it's just a waste of the earth's valuable resources and unnecessarily polluting .
Can I have little skull and cross bones instead of stars?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 5779

Cheers bones. I've now checked it, all seems OK, the dipstick level comes nearly to the top of the twisty bit.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 5780

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Timjar
Back