Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

BBC Top gear Sun 15th June 8pm.

Singh

I suppose it had to happen some day, the one man who loves to hate 911’s yes you’ve guessed it Jeremy “Ferrari” Clarkson, has appeared to have bitten off more than he can chew.

Last night he had another contender on Top gear for his “un-cool” bill board. Yes it was a 911, an 80’s 911 to be exact.

The one in question that he had taken a picture of was a red 911. These are his words of description that made it an “un-cool” car:

Look at this car, some body has taken their 911 sc and put a turbo body kit on it, and stuck a Carrera badge on the back! How un-cool!

What does that car describe to a 911 enthusiast? Yep, a 911 super sport!

I’m almost defiantly sure that he has got this totally wrong and made a big assumption, if not to only knock 911’s down once again.

If it was what he described, how could he tell it was a true 911 sc from a snap shot!

Comments pls……..

Amo

Migration info. Legacy thread was 4760

The car in question is actually owned by one of the presenters (Richard I think) - he drove it in when I was at the filming - fooled me as at a glance it did look like a turbo.

Going by the TG "cool" criteria, I would have to agree that 80's 911s aren't exactly up there....

Flame suit firmly zipped up ;)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 4761

Personally, I think that SC's and 3.2s without the "accordian" bumpers are the best looking of all 911s. 993's which seem to be most people's favourites, look too much like a 968 from the front and have already become too jelly-mold to my mind.

Re identifying an SC from a Carrera 3.2, if the photo is from the front you would be able to tell by looking at the fog lights. If it has some and they are fitted flush into the front bumper then it is a 3.2. If it doesn't have any or has some that are attached in front of the bumper it is an SC.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 4780

James,

Mmm.... SC's and 3.2s without 'accordian' bumpers, cant say I've ever seen one and as far as I'm aware Porsche didnt make any.

And the foglights on a 3.2 are in the front valence not the bumper.

Singh,

Couple of points, from the brief look at the picture, it didnt look wide bodied to me(it was however a brief glimpse), if someone has put a Carreara badge on an SC,(why?) they are quite sad. He also said it was an 82 car, which to the best of my knowledge means it cant be a 'supersport' as they only commenced production in 1985 after the 1984 introduction of the 3.2.

On another point why did anyone ever buy one? they were 11k dearer than a standard Carrera and slower!! All the Turbo show without the go...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 4787

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by James Ball on 16 June 2003

Personally, ..................., look too much like a 968 from the front and have already become too jelly-mold to my mind.
Er

Phil, have a quiet word with your forum moderator please.

To have our 993's compared to a ford sierra is not the standard we've come to expect!! :roll:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 4790

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Singh on 16 June 2003

Jeremy “Ferrari” Clarkson, has appeared to have bitten off more than he can chew.
Last night he had another contender on Top gear for his “un-cool” bill board.
That's because Clarkson is a twat.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 4798

917k. You are right, Porsche didn't make any non-accordian type bumper but RUF et al did/do. Very nice they look too (and save a load of weight).

Hendo. Sorry mate, but the truth hurts. From the front they are identical. I'll try to did out some photos to prove the point. To my mind Porsche lost the plot when they started to slope the front wings. The lovely profile was gone forever...sniff...sniff...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 4799

968 or 993?????

/images/migration/UploadedForumImages/968_black_front.gif

Migration info. Legacy thread was 4802

You're going to get into a fight here James (and it's a 968 !)

Jamie

Migration info. Legacy thread was 4803

James,

Assuming Hendo's 'Jellymould' comment is directed at the dagenham dustbin and not the 968 I'd have to agree with him, I dont see how anyone would confuse the two (from any angle) after all it's not the 996/Boxster problem here!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 4804

You are right of course, but it looks damn similar!

Anyway, I think they look great - just not as great as earlier 911's!!!!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 4805

:(

- Can't comment - own neither!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 4807

I don't confuse the two, but from the windscreen forward they are the same. It makes sense - they were built at the same time and bo doubt Porsche was aiming for a consistent look across their model line up.

I'll wind my neck in now though, given that we all like the 993 :)

James

Migration info. Legacy thread was 4808

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back