Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Oh what to buy?

911UK

Administrator
Staff member
Now I've started looking around at 993's, I'm starting to wonder whether this is really the best option. I've started wondering if something like a 964RS might be better "investment". But am I right in thinking none of them have rear seats fitted? would be a problem as I need space for my little 18 month old! I guess what it comes down to is depreciation, I'm reluctant to spend 28K on a good LHD 993 only to find it's worth 20K a couple years down the line. Ho hum!

Any ideas anyone?!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 3582

Phil

So the alternative takes littlun out of the equation completely? I havent seen mothercare's latest brochure but I dont think Baby seats with a full roll cage attachment are featured. Still, from some of the previous threads, Kwik Fit will sort it no doubt :lol:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 3583

Phil. You are right. None of the RS's have (964 or 993) have rear seats. However, I think you are also right in thinking that an RS is the best "anti-depreciation" bet. The next best alternative, I think, is to find a good value 911 Turbo 2 (the 964 with the 3.3 turbo engine). They can be found for under £20k LHD, have awesome performance and have the rear seats. They are already pretty cheap and don't have far to fall so depreciation should be limited. Of course, maintenance would be slightly higher than a NA 964 and a fair bit higher than a 993.

James

Migration info. Legacy thread was 3589

Phil,

I would agree with James on the turbo - awesome value for money and look fantastic if you retro fit the 18" split rims a la 3.6 turbo.

You did say £28k though, surely you can find a good rhd 993 for that kind of money, that's not too much less than I paid for '95 C4. Buying rhd should protect from depreciation a bit better (hope so anyway! :) )

Dunc

Migration info. Legacy thread was 3591

Yeah, actually hadn't really thought about the turbo option..hmm. Dunc - maybe I should thinking "been there done that" with regard to the 993 as I had one a few years back. It was only a couple of years old and totally mint, I think I'd always be comparing a prospective car with this :?

How much can 3.6 turbos be had for these days? Quite rare, so I would guess it would hold it's value pretty well.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 3619

I would reckon that the 3.3s live in the region of £20k (lhd) to £30k (good rhd). The 3.3s were only made '90-'92 as the 3.6 was turbo'd for '93 and they sell for £30k plus. Both cars look the same with the 'rubber' edged whaletail although the later 3.6 cars have lovely 18" split rims.

911virgin.com seem to have a few in ranging from £20k+.

Dunc

(Edited for a couple of typos by James Ball)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 3625

Phil,

As you know I like to buy rare or interesting cars and 911's it's all based on what you can afford to lose - that's the gamble. Are we talking about long-term investment or driving pleasure - is there any driving pleasure around Weybridge these days!!!!

What do you want to use the car for? Now we all know you love track days - therefore a 964RS is the best bet. However the 993 would be the choice as an all rounder or lhd 993RS if you can stretch the wallet. A standard 993 on a track will not be as much fun as your Lotus, but on the road, as an all rounder the 993 fits the bill.

My 993 was seriously sorted and was set-up for both track and road. However you have to throw money at it...is this worth it, that's always the question. Just for info. my 993 sold for £34k within 2 hours of it going on virgin911's website - Yes I know it was on the wrong website, but the point is that the 993 sold for a good price because it was different and someone was prepared to buy that difference.

So buy what your heart says and live for today!!! before the government apply congestion charges in Weybridge.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 3672

Thanks guys.

Peter - I'm not planning on tracking the 911 at all (the Exige does the trick there), and it'll be my daily to-from work car. I can see your point re 993, it is a great all rounder, but I think I'm hankering after something a little different. I may go and have a look at some turbos when I get the chance. I notice Oakhills have a couple in at the moment, so I might pay them a visit.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 3675

I had a 964, admittedly not an RS, and there is only 1 car seat that fits in teh back of it for nippers - Brittax Freeway - teh official Porsche one actually doesn't fit. Not sure if its OK for a 993 though.

The RS will of course hold its money much better, basic economics says so with what I learnt on school regarding supply and demand, but I personally don't think this should be why you buy it - its a different car to a LHD 993. Suggest you drive both and you know where to go to find buying guides...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 3676

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back