Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

'77 911 Targa Sportomatic info. needed

John B

Well someone has to buy an old Sportomatic - especially one with the dreaded 2.7 engine. I know, I know ..... convert to 5 speed, fit a 3.0 litre etc. But surprisingly this one's sound in wind and limb (haven't checked those head studs yet!) - with thousands spent by previous owners and only minor cosmetics needed.

Before you all shout 'sell it quick' - the 'box is brand new and actually suits the nature of this essentially touring car. Anyway to some questions.

1. Can anyone tell me where to get a reprint of the '77 911 UK spec. (yes it's RHD) owner's manual? I know Pelican Parts USA do a US spec. one but it would be good to have the correct UK version.

2. Just how rare is a RHD 911 Targa Sportomatic and does anyone have an idea of its value ceiling as a condition 2 car and whether it is likely to appreciate/depreciate over say 5 years?

3. As I haven't yet got an owner's manual can anyone tell me the correct tyre pressures for this car?(I'm aware that there's a 5:4 rear/front ratio and have them at 37/30 psi just now but the ride feels a bit harsh and the steering on motorways a little lighter than an '87 Targa I previously borrowed.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 3441

Hi John.

Lots of good questions which I need access to my books at home to help answer. I'll try to get back to you tomorrow.

Cheers, James

Migration info. Legacy thread was 3445

John,

I wouldnt expect the car to depreciate any further than current values as most of the depreciation has been done its earlier years, condition will be its deciding factor, there are about 50 sportomatics registered with the pcgb but I believe that is mainly due to the fact that most have been converted to manual. The sportomatic was alway more popular in the states and are probably more common over there.

As for the value, it is in all honesty worth slightly less than the manual 2.7 targa as the sportomatic has never been a popular option. Its rarity is mainly due to its lack of popularity.

I have read a few articles on the sportomatic system and its not actually supposed to be that bad a system, (if you can get on with it), most peoples problem seems to be that its neither manual or automatic but somewhere in between.

If the car suits your style of driving, enjoy it and ignore the Porsche snobs.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 3448

There were 1724 911 non US Targas built in '77, but sporto numbers are not detailed separately.

Porsche dealers may have the manual available. For tyre pressures i need the tyre sizes.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 3454

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mapp
Back