Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Is it just me..............?

NeilH

Hi, I'm new here and wondered whether the problems I've had since aquiring my C4S 2 months ago are unique.

I should start by saying that overall the car is superb; great to drive, nice to look at, sounds great etc.

However, a number of things have been niggling me. Rattles/squeaks etc. These are numerous and proving difficult for the dealer to sort out. Totally obtrusive lurch caused by, I think, the variocam(?) at c3000 RPM. The car also seems to be using a lot of oil. What's normal?

Crappy stereo at the best of times but accompanied by electical interference (when braking, using wipers etc) when listening to the the radio.

Also noticed that the brake discs are beginning to rust alarmingly.

In the scheme of things these are not great problems but I wondered whether you guys had any suggestions and if anyone else had had these problems before?

Cheers.

Neil.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 3372

Yep, heard of all of them. The lurch is apparent on all current 911 models. The interference problem has been mentioned on this forum. Are you sure that it is the actual discs rusting, or the clamp thingys on the top and bottom?(sorry about vague language). If so this happens on all cars.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 3375

Im no stranger to rattles and squeaks and the radio interference - never had the same build issues with my BMW's. However when I look at the car drive and listen to the engine not the dash everything seems alright.

Be interested to know how your dealer sorts the radio issues mine only does it when I break.

Regards

Migration info. Legacy thread was 3380

I have an 02 Boxster S with the same engine problem (not all the time though) and I have had both a C4S and C2 Cab for weekends whilst waiting for my new 996 to be delivered and they both had the Porsche "lurch". As for rattles etc. my wife's MGF rattles less than my Boxster which for some reason seems to give her no end of laughter....... Still I am prepared to put up with minor problems to drive what is probably the best sports car in the world.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 3384

Thanks for the replies and I hear what you are saying. However, I'm afraid the old "when you drive it you forget about the rattles etc" just doesn't cut it. When you've paid the thick end of £70K surely it's not too much to expect everything to work properly AND be a great drive?

Noony - yes it looks like the actual disks are rusting.

Neil.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 3398

Old forum user Unidentified(4266) wrote:

I'm afraid I am with NeilH on this one. If my C4S has these problems when delivered in July, Porsche are going to get a real ear bashing until everything is right - and I mean Stuttgart not just the OPC. 70K is a lot of cash and you have a right to expect quality. There are plenty of fast cars around but Porsche's reputation is built on engineering excellence and quality. They have to live up to it or lose it. SARBS and Jay Jay, any issues with your C4S

Funny that car mag journos never pick up on these quality issues

BTW I bought a new BMW318 for my daughter 4 years ago and to this day it does not rattle and has had no quality issues other than an initial recall to check suspension bushes.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 3399

I've read that "lurch" comment a couple of times now and still don't recognize it as being anything i am familiar with. Therefore i can only presume CFOURS doesn't do it. I'll be on the look out for it from now on. No oil consumption yet at all ! (3,800 miles) Brakes show normal levels of rust - which largely disappear after a good thrash. I had BOSE ICE upgrade & would say it's the best sound i've heard in a car yet (other than the exhaust !! )

So - so far it is the quality product i hoped for.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 3409

jay jay - you just reminded me!!

My c4s also uses loads of oil. I have gone through c3litres of Mobil 1 in less than 2000 miles. I got the usual, "they all do that" from the OPC. Interesting that yours doesn't.

Oh well, another visit to JCT600.

Neil.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 3412

About the brakes....they will rust if exposed to oxygen and water, which are obviously in abundance around us. Do you garage your c4s? Or do you take it out in the wet a lot?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 3415

I know it's only a Boxster but the car only used only a trace of oil up to the first 12000 mile service whilst being given large most days. Having expressed concern with my OPD salesman (at Guildford) about the lurch and being due to take delivery of a new C2 Cab any day now there is no point worrying about it. I have been told the most likely cause is the Vanos thingy and to be honest it has never spoilt the enjoyment/ear bleeding performance, but if it is a problem then it will visit the dealer for analysis. As for rattles etc. on the Boxster/Cab they are always nearly cured by the dealer but are a part and parcel of a owning a "soft top" car. whenever I have had a coupe they seem very quiet, as you would expect. The worst to drive was a two week old Targa, the sliding roof seemed to fit like OJ's glove - not at all!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 3422

Done 900 miles in j-lo and she is due oil, may be because I dont use her as an everyday car, go out before 6am most sundays and drive hard (as hard as you can still trying to stick to the 4000 rev run in stupidness) but have put that down for her guzzling the thick stuff. What is the oil of choice for the 4s?

On a better note, spent all afternoon applying a fat coat of zymol concours, J-lo looks far better than she did when she rolled off the trailer in march! Although me neighbour is keeping his kids and pets away from me now he's seen me rubbing j-lo with my bare hands!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 3451

Have covered 1300 miles (and like Sarbs at low revs but mainly at weekends) and have guzzled a lot of oil. But was warned when I picked up the car to expect it.

My OPC said Mobil 1

Migration info. Legacy thread was 3691

Just had CFOURS checked for oil by Solihull OPC & they put in one litre mobil 1. With 4,250 (delicious) miles so far enjoyed - i'm pretty happy. Reading this site's varying oil consumption tales, it appears that there's no hard & fast rule governing what should be "normal" usage. ..........On another "reliability" matter - the same OPC had to rectify the spts exhst dash button - which had "gone into" the dash by 10-15mm. I hardly pressed it at all (ie - no undue force) but it "depressed" into the dash. ...OK , they fixed it on two minutes... but it has slightly altered my "percieved" notion of quality. I thought these things were "hewn from granite" ?? Anyone had similar reason to lose just a smidgeon of faith ?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 3702

Don't rely on the lugs behind the rear seats .... I carried a slightly heavy box ... one fell off / pulled out of the seat back. Not a big deal but when you see the seat backs are made from chipboard ...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 3706

My 996 has done about 15K mile of which 4k have been with my steerage and no oil used. I am still hopelessly in love with her but the only love lost has been to do with ill fitting interoir trim causing rattles etc. Porsche really need to address this Merc and BMW do not suffer the same problem - I read a motoring mag comparing the forecoming Aston Martin due in the next couple of years state that the trim would beat the "Plastic Porsche" and I think they have a point. Other aspects of build I have been very impressed with, engine etc.

Regards

Migration info. Legacy thread was 3709

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monkey
Back