Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Another one joins the throng

manek

Just put a deposit a 95N C2 993 from Autobahn in silver. I broke ALL the rules: saw only one, bought the first one I saw, and didn't get an inspection. On the plus side, I persuaded them to give me a year's warranty, two new rear tyres and an extra grand on the part-ex. It looks very clean and tidy, with only three previous owners.

And a guy I trust reckons he knows them, and the car, having both driven and sold it a couple of years ago, and reckons it's a sound motor. I can't wait to get hold of it!

Pix to follow asap...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 3222

LOL. Manek, you just know you're going to get stick for not geting an inspection! Having said that, I've never heard a bad word against Autobahn, congrats on your purchase :)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 3229

No inspection!! I know it's bad but, purely by chance, I discovered that the car was in London yesterday and since I was there for a meeting anyway, I persuaded the salesguy to schlepp across town to meet me. So there it was, shouting 'buy me!'. And I've got a year's warranty (for an 8-year-old car with 72k miles, I think that's a testament), and there's a web of personal relationships these guys have good reason not to want to spoil. I have a good feeling about -- just hope I'm right...

Pix will come when I pick it up next week (from Coventry, I'm in Lewes near Brighton), but was on Autobahn's Web site last time I looked.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 3237

Oh well, Manek, you certainly aren't the first person on this website to ignore the good advice of getting a PPI done. Personally I wouldn't take the warantee as a guarantee of any quality but the personal relationships is another thing. That said, I once sold a car to a mate and on his drive home the head gasket blew. I had no prior knowledge of it but it does demonstrate that problems can happen with cars even when friends are involved.

You still have time to get that inspection done. If nothing else it will tell you what you need to fix.

But is it your cash so, obviously, do as you please.

Good luck.

James

Migration info. Legacy thread was 3240

Fair point -- does anyone know who can do a PPI in the Coventry area?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 3242

No one springs to mind, but an OPC should be fine for a 993. A PPI with them should cost about £130 from memory. Not a lot for a bit more piece of mind.

James

Migration info. Legacy thread was 3243

Just spoke to the nearest OPC to Autobahn (who also said they'd be doing the OPC-stylee 87-point check) and, frankly, since the process seems to consist mostly of checking that all the electrics work (which I've already done) and that the car drives OK which I've partly done and will do again when I get up to Coventry next week, I'm not convinced it's entirely necessary.

Even the OPC said that if Autobahn were going to perform the same 87-point check, it would OK without a second PPI -- which even meant that they were turning down £158+VAT.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 3244

It sounds like you are happy but I found someone near Coventry where you could get a PPI done:

PCT Cars, Derwent Works, Constitution Hill, Birmingham, B19 3JT Tel: 0121 233 3686

James

Migration info. Legacy thread was 3245

Thanks James -- much appreciated. I may give them a call if I get wobbly! :)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 3248

I did get wobbly. And I did call PCT and they've been extremely helpful so thanks again for the tip.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 3273

Did they check the car over? If so, did they find anything, or was it more a case of making you feel that you had done all you can to make sure the car was a good 'un?

James

Migration info. Legacy thread was 3277

They're going in to check on it on Saturday but they seem to have really stretched their schedule to make it happen soon, since I want to pick the car up early next week.

BTW, if anyone else wants a similar car, there's a very nice-sounding Aventura Green 993 C2 at Finlay Gorham for £30k-- I'm very tempted to head up there at the w/end just to look...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 3283

Manek - it's *still* available, think I might just pop down there :wink:
Just kidding.

This is the baby:

<Sorry image not available after migration>

Migration info. Legacy thread was 3292

MMM... :twisted:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 3301

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members