Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Gearbox oil

cejsmith

The change into second gear is sometimes a little stiff. I heard that changing the oil can help. Which one should I use. It's to go in a 915 box.

Thanks

Colin

Migration info. Legacy thread was 2471

Swepco seems to be the stuff to get for the 915 gearboxes - an excellent mineral oil. Bert, who is on this site sometimes sells the stuff I believe. Do a search for his name and you will probably find him (something like Berlyn Services I think)

James

Migration info. Legacy thread was 2481

I just got some Swepco 201 from Berlyn Services and put it in the 915 transmission of my SC. I can report a definite improvement.

Prior to changing the oil, getting 2nd and 4th gears quite often required serious force (even when double-declutching). Afterwards, 4th is fine and 2nd is improved, though still a bit stiff.

Of course, I can't be sure that I wouldn't have got the same improvement with any new oil. I think that the oil in mine had been there rather a long time, judging by the amount of swarf on the magnetic catcher; either that, or the transmission really is on the way out (erk!).

GearboxPlug1.JPG

postamble();

Migration info. Legacy thread was 2696

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back