Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

G50 transmission

Carrera man

Hello.

I bought a 911 Carrera 2 (964) a couple of weeks ago and I don’t know very much of my car at the moment, but learning every day!!. It drives well and very good condition. It is a really nice car.

However, I am not too happy with the transmission (G50). I find it really hard to get the gears in place, especially 1
st
gear.

When I bought the car there were no problems at all. But yesterday, after spending 200 miles in the car, it was terrible. Sometimes I was really struggling to get the gears in.

The clutch was replaced 2000 miles ago, and I assumed the clutch is fine.

But what can I do to get rid of this problem?

- Change transmission oil?

- Adjust the gear shifter?

- Clutch??? What can I do here…

All postings and ideas are much appreciated.

Nervous 911 owner..

Migration info. Legacy thread was 2363

Sounds like worn synchros but you don't hear too many complaints from G50 gearbox owners. A change of transmission oil is the place to start and have a look for any small metal particles in the old oil when you drain it. If you find any, flush the gearbox with some cheap oil before refilling with some good stuff.

James

Migration info. Legacy thread was 2364

Hi James,

That was my first thought, but the milage is pretty low (65,000 miles) and I got the problems more or less for all the gears.

Confused..

Migration info. Legacy thread was 2365

I have a similar problem engaging 1st in my 3.2. I had a new clutch two months ago and I've only had a problem since then, and then only occassionally. Sounds too much of a coincidence timing-wise to be the synchros, so my guess is that it's something to do with the linkage.

Jamie

Migration info. Legacy thread was 2594

Guess what? Me too!! Getting into 1st can be stiff and going from 1st-2nd also (70000 miles). I do notice an improvement when the temperatures are up though so I guess thinner transmission oil will improve things. Another job for the list..

Migration info. Legacy thread was 2623

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back