Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Tyres

cejsmith

I've gone a bought a 911 3.2 targa and i've noticed that there is a miss match on the tyres. I want to replace them, the car has 16" fuchs. What's best?

I know there have been treads in the past , but there doesn't seems to be an answer.

Thanks for the help

Colin

PS I've posted a similar thread on the porsche gb forum, so it will be interesting to see the different replies

Migration info. Legacy thread was 2199

Hi Colin,

I've got a 993 and have Conti's all round, they've been pretty good so far and I've been impressed with their wet weather capabilities. I saw a post about this on another forum some time ago and a few people suggested Bridgestone Protenza S-02's, I used to have them on a previous car and I was less than impressed with them in the wet, in the dry superb but in the wet they were possibly the worst tyre that I've ever had.

Just my 2 pennies!

:D

Migration info. Legacy thread was 2204

Colin

SO2s seem to get most votes when this question comes up, but they are no longer generally available. SO3s, the replacement tyre, is said to be less good.

Interesting what JamesM has to say about the S02s though.

James

Migration info. Legacy thread was 2207

Just my own preference James, it may be because the S-02 on my previous car were specifically designed for it and just weren't up to the job. The thread on the S-02 just isn't capable of shifting lots of water, which I found out when I had a major aqua-planing incident at a relatively low speed. :(

Migration info. Legacy thread was 2220

I've been offered a set of SO2 N for £400 fitted, does that sound good?

Has any one else had wet weather problems with them?

Colin

Migration info. Legacy thread was 2226

The problem is that if you wear out a couple of them in say 6 months time you will probably not be able to replace them and would therefore need to buy 4 completely new tyres (under the assumption that you shouldn't mix and match). If you want to go to S02s you might want to buy 6 and store 2 for later.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 2227

so I've been ring around again on tyres. I was going to leave them alone, but I checked again and it would seem like there is only about 2.5mm left on them. ( great in the dry but it must rain soon!!!!)

Michelin mxxx3 £460

Bridgestone so2 £400

If I want to trave to Hampshire conti's and dunlops £380

Thoughs?

Or doesn't it matter, in the fact they are all good or alot better than tyres where in 1985 when the car was built.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 2559

Hi, well this is the same sort of question I asked about 3 months ago on the Titanic forum. There was a wide and varied response from people who have 'bargain brand tyres' versus more mainstream manufacturers.

Many suggestions where made eg Fuldas,Eagle F1,Toyos,Dunlop and Conti to name a few. In the end I went for contis as they were fitted to the front.

Fitted at the rear a pair of 255/40/17 ZR N1 rated came to £280 including balanced. The garage were less than delicate with the alloys so go to a place with nylon fitting gear.

The N rating saga is very subjective, the point of N rating I think was to show that the tyre manufacturer had worked with Porshe to reduce noise, wear etc.

Tyres back in 1985 were quite crude compared todays standard but its recommened to let the Insurance company know if the tyres are not N rated. There is a right up in the PP of the 964 register.

Hope this helps

Cheers :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 2562

Yes Nick

I know mate it's on my tyre thread there. There are differnet people on both sites and I like to get as much info as possible before I make a purchase. It always nice to see different peoples views.

Colin

Migration info. Legacy thread was 2571

Sorry Colin, I didn't look at the top of that thread. Anyway a link here is useful for others after the same info.

I am not against using different makes of tyres front aand rear, as long as one realises that it may change the balance of the car from a previous setup. New tyres of the same make will also change the feel especially on a 911.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 2574

FYI I've got Falken FK451's front and rear on mine, and really cannot fault them. Great in the dry and fantastic in the wet. £315 fitted, valves, balance, vat & "replacement guarantee" in case of puncture!! (ATS) I've covered around 1000 miles in them and wear doesn't seem particularly bad considering the abuse they get.

Try this site
http://www.mytyres.net/start.html
for very good prices and helpful reviews from a German magazine.

Nathan

Migration info. Legacy thread was 2586

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Darren J on 26 March 2003

Fitted at the rear a pair of 255/40/17 ZR N1 rated came to £280 including balanced. The garage were less than delicate with the alloys so go to a place with nylon fitting gear.
Bracknell Tyres (in Bracknell obviously) are very good. I've used them for some time now, the fitters are great and take a lot of pride in their work.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 2945

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gpc
Back