Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

engine swaps

imported_paul b

hi

i have found a great 77 targa but the 2.4 has been replaced by a 3.0 SC engine which has been rebuilt....should i be wary..

i am thinking of resale etc.....any thoughts ?

i have now decided that i want an older car....pre impact if poss but the money is high for good ones

this one looks good apart from bumpers but i thought the performance would be good with the differnet engine.....i am getting details of who did the engine swap shortly (and i will get a PPI if i go for it !!)

paul

Migration info. Legacy thread was 1453

It probably had a 2.7 engine which was strangled by emmissions during that period. They were known for being poor engines. So 3.0 conversions are not uncommon.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 1457

If you search the Pelican Parts BBS you will find many references to 3.0 upgrades for the 2.7, which has a terrible reputation on the US because of the high temperature that it ran with it's smog gear. I am really not aware of any problems on this side of the pond, lower ambieny temps and no smog gear probably mean greater reliability.

In terms of value, the 2.7's don't have much of a following, apart from the Carrera, so an upgrade to a 3.0 will make very little difference. Remind me Paul, is this car L or RHD?

It won't add much poke either, the easly 3.0 SC was only 180bhp, becoming 204 in '81 (I think)

There are early cars (pre 73) out there to be found at reasonable prices, especcially if you forget about an S (£20K ish for a decent one) and look for restored Ts or Es

Migration info. Legacy thread was 1458

As Gregsy said, it was probably a 2.7 to 3.0 swap and is no bad thing. Both engines use CIS for fuel management and the swap is pretty straightforward. As long as it has been done right it should be fine. It does limit the value of the car - I would not expect to pay more than about £8k I wouldn't have thought. Performance-wise it should be the same as an SC. I think weight-wise a 77 is about the same as an SC.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 1459

thanks guys

this is a 77 targa RHD in red that needs a little cosmetic work

its advertised at £7500.......at the moment i am with this and a
1972 LHD 2.2 T Targa in yellow that has had new brakes/discs/pads/cables etc and a few other bits and is £9400....

the red one i found when i called a PPI chap from poresche world
....when i said what i wanted inspected he told me of the red one but said et an independant PPI as he has done his report on the car....mostly body bits/trim etc and needs a new clutch cable he said...thats all......

somehow i think i should get the earlier car ?

paul

Migration info. Legacy thread was 1460

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Milno
Back