Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

still looking

imported_paul b

thanks jamie for even more recent advice.........i have now seen your car here.........it looks great......after first starting out with the idea of an older pre 74 911 i went to see Henry at 911virgin today and drove
an 87 3.2.my first time and loved it........i would probably of bought it if it wasn't for the colour and the price!!...other than that it was perfect!...and heres where i throw the proverbial cat amongst the birdies....ready...i like targas (i can hear the groan).....i think its all part of the male menopause starting , i need a 911 , oh and why not have wind in my hair with the kids in the back !!!....i am sure reality will be different !

i liked henry though.........seems a nice chap!...the car was a tad expensive though........d reg 87 RHD targa 154k with full service history to day one though

going to see a black one tommorow evening in underground storage under dolphin sqaure at the embankment........this one has had everything done it seems by the current owner (an opera singer)

its black , black leather , fuchs, RHD (not bothered though)11k with 88k and full posrche s/h....new roof in nov 2002 + clutch and brakes and all sorts.think the main dealer saw him comin!

one snag though (had to be one)..its an 86....so is that no G50 box.....i like this gearchange thus far but i only drove two today at henrys and one was the orrible brown one ........a 79 3.0 and the one above....hard to compare and i need to drive a few to get a feel......

i was more worried at how i kept hitting the brake and not the throttle in my prada loafers!!!!!!

i have to say that i was bowled over at how much car you can get when i compare my 20k volvo estate....which has just needed an £800 service (prior to sale eh!!!)....at least if you spend that on a 911
you feel youre getting something for your money !

will see if i can feel the difference tommorow night

will keep you posted..........nearly there !

Migration info. Legacy thread was 1288

All that spec and history on the black one looks great. I wouldn't be too put off going for a 915 gearbox if everything else is right (as it seems)- I've not driven a 915 box myself, but it seems to get a lot of bad press - but as with most things Porsche-related, if it's been properly looked after and not abused then it should be fine ! Price at £11K seems pretty good as the mileage isn't excessive and certainly a full Porsche service history is worth having.

Funny what you say about hitting the wrong pedal - RHD's have the pedals slightly offset to the left - LHD's have the pedals in the right place - just a thought :wink:

I think you're right that the 87 3.2 Targa at 911Virgin is too expensive - it's done lots of miles, no leather interior, v. basic spec, nasty colour, targa (I know you like that) - it had just come in and was awaiting preparation when I was last at 911Virgin and really didn't look that special - I would have thought that it's more of a £12K car.

Jamie

Migration info. Legacy thread was 1302

I have driven 915s and G50s and they are quite different - G50 feels modern, 915 feels older but is fine once you are used to it.

My current 915 required major rebuilding at 90K, which is not unusual, although it cost me £700 which is higher than the normal cost of replacement synchros, etc. However, there are also numerous linkages that wear and can often give the impression of a worn box. Again, it is back to having this inspected, and then using it as a point for negotiation.

By the way, a Targa should really be kept under cover, and make sure that the inspection goes over the sill and floor structure properly.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 1307

well my business computer went down again today and after dropping it at the store found myself near Henrys place!!!

he told me yesterday that one was coming in today so i popped along (as you do!).......i like this one!

89 F metallic blue with beige leather interior (targa!!!)3.2....
full history nearly all from Paragon....car is from Lancaster Porsche.........its 13k with 103k miles and henry will pay for the spoiler to be removed....usula electrics , alarm etc.......

i saw it as it arrived , dirty and with no attention paid to the tatty bits.....i do like a blue metallic....its not on the site yet....should go on tonight...going to see the black one (86, 915 g/box etc)
tonight for first look....its in an underground car park in london under cover.....will go back in day if i like it

henry still feels that i should buy a £400 warranty rather than an inspection , but if i want both said fine by him....

i have to say that although a RHD........it was a little bit tatty
here and there inside for 13k...maybe i expect too much......
he wont budge below 13k though.......

forget you guys dont seem enamoured with targas.....what do you think.i nearly put a deposit down, but stopped myself !!!!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 1322

To my mind £13K should buy you rather better than a tatty one - beige (probably 'linen' can look tatty but doesn't have to !) perhaps there's a bit of a RHD premium in that price, £13K really will buy you a tidy late 3.2 particularly a Targa (generally held to be less desirable, hence a wee bit cheaper supposedly) or a left hooker. To be honest I prefer the sound of the black '86 one, with fewer miles Porsche history and £2K less asking price (which as a private sale is probably negotiable if you have a briefcase full of cash !)

Jamie

Migration info. Legacy thread was 1323

thanks jamie

i guess if it hadn't just arrived hed of cleaned the leather interior and hoovered it...it was still muddy etc!!!!!!

oh well seeing the black one tonight.......as you say 2k less , maybe 3k less if i can find a briefcase!!

till then then!

paul

Migration info. Legacy thread was 1324

Of course Henry would rather you pay for a warantee than get a PPI. If there are problems with the car and you get a PPI you won't buy it but if you get a warantee you will have already given Henry your readies.

Don't buy anything that you can decribe as "tatty". There are literally thousands of Carrera 3.2s out there and although a lot are "tatty" there are some that are not and will still sell for sensible money. Hold off and find a nice one. If the interior of the cabin is tatty the interior of the engine probably is too.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 1342

That's the problem with Henry. He knows better than anyone else.

I repeat, get a PPI done.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 1343

thnaks everyone

seems henry isn't too popular !

i have mentally passed on his cars thus far anyway.....the search continues !

saw one last night but didn't fall in love with it even though all was right in many ways

i still seem to hanker for the older targas and i am now considering
setting my budget at 12k but maybe buying an older targa (maybe 3.0?) and then spending the extra money on the car...will i get it back...who knows , but i have the car the way i want and know the work done.....need to buy right in the first instance.....

i am not really looking for hard core performance....just some fun at the weekend.....i still harbour a desire to buy the 79 targa at 911 virgin for 6k (hell do it for that he said) after an inspection and then maybe have a respray/engine work.change the alloys and have the
car how i want it.......i guess i am honing down week by week what i want which is good......i would like to get (as an example) that brown targa (subject to it not being about to explode!) and then maybe do some remedial engine work and a respray.then maybe some chrom fuch alloys or maybe 17" cup alloys..something wih a bit of a stamp , but with a bit of power too.......the brown one at henrys drives okay...but im a novice.but it wasnt night and day to the the 89F 3.2's

so ppi done....no huge gremlins hopefully.....so say buy it for 6k , 1k for alloys , 2.5k respray,2k engine work if needed and in the future look at gettingrid of the tartan interior!!! (which i liked!!!)...PS i am a bit strange i know !!!!

so the car stands me at 11.5k (ouch) , but its how i want it and the work is done....service regularly and then take to house in spain!!!!

would i lose all the money..who knows.its now a 3.0 targa in silver
or met blue....all work done looks good..someone like me will buy it then..if i sell it ?

flawed plan ?...and that question is for you no 3 !!!!!

you cannot or at least i cannot be pragmatic and logical about cars !!!

paul

Migration info. Legacy thread was 1345

My view is, if a car is a bit rough in one area (eg bodywork) it is likely to be rough everywhere. Even if you rebuild the engine you may well find other stuff failing around it - there is a lot to go wrong that isn't replaced as part of an engine rebuild. There is no way you will get your money back, unfortunately although you might get say 50% back. If you change the colour you will devalue the car a bit as well.

Obviously it is up to you but the general principle is that you are better off spending the money up front on a better car - £12k would buy you the best 79 targa out there is you take the time to find it. If you really can't wait then dive in but have your eyes open.

Good luck!

James

Migration info. Legacy thread was 1348

There's a certain amount of sense in what you say about buying the cheapo one and tarting it up a bit. The problem is that money spent does not as a rule increase the re-sale value and certainly you alienate the 'originality' freaks at sale time. Of course though, you know that the work done is a) what you wanted, and b) done properly to your satisfaction. Also once you scratch the surface on a cheaper car you just don't know what you're going to uncover (despite what might be a reasonable 'all clear' from the inspection), you could end up pouring good money after bad and £11.5K is suddenly £15K or more - they are not forgiving on the wallet.

The general rule on cheaper cars (Porsches included) is 'buy it cheap, run it cheap and sell it cheap' that way it owes you nothing ! Once you start spending money your re-sale expectations inevitably increase and this can lead to big dissapointment. I would suggest if you buy the cheap one leave it exactly as it is, obviously service it properly, enjoy it for what it is (not what it could be) and then when you come to sell in a few years you should pretty much get your money back.

If you think that you will always wonder what it would have been like if it was a bit newer / quicker / etc. etc. then pay the money for one that is !

Here's another suggestion - if you're not too worried about out and out performance and just want a bit of fun at the weekends, buy a Metro and spend the rest of the money on a mistress !!!!!!!! :wink:

Jamie

Migration info. Legacy thread was 1349

james

very good points and you are right , if such a phrase is apt !

the brown one i mentioned is actually not that rough......in fact the 13k one seemed worse....it would all be up to getting a good unbiased (not a friend of Henry's!!!) PPI..if there were just a few bits and bobs , but most was sound then that would be okay with me.......re the colour.i like the weird met brown to a point and would consider a respray in that original colour....but as a novice i would guess it woud,nt be that popular !!...i would chhose a colour from that era , 76-79.but yes wouldn't recoup all...but which car does 100%...i guess this plan stinks of impatience (!) but also i get the car i want however strange it may seem , and know whats wrong with it and then fixed.i guess it depends on what you buy to start out wiith....if its not a real " dog " then the plan may work ?

it may be this satisfies my yearning for the 911 thing sufficeintly that i keep the car for some time...especially if it goes to spain.and then over a five year period this plan may work..who knows ?

the whole thing strated with seeing cars for sale in USA on e bay that had done this and they were $18k..everything done .everything and new modern alloys etc...they looked contemparary and retro and of the time as well (i thats poss).i am not a 100% purist !

lets see though....your advice is heeded though !

paul

ps this forum seems to catch my atttention everytime my business computer crashes (which is alot...its an appl mac system !!)....while it re boots and rebuilds itself i pop on to the forum

once i buy the car i am sure it will be worse !!!!!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 1350

"Here's another suggestion - if you're not too worried about out and out performance and just want a bit of fun at the weekends, buy a Metro and spend the rest of the money on a mistress !!!!!!!! :wink:
"

Now that's good advice!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 1351

good advice jamie although i did plan to get the 911 as the mistress has stipulated that no 911.no fun.......and she already has a morris traveller !!!!!

on a serious note...i dont want to do this just on pound notes.....i havn't got money to burn , but before the north london house prices go down i am suitably re mortgaged and have my lump to play with!!!

as for the originality freaks....they would bypass for instance that brown one at henrys i should think anyway !!!

brown and tartan...of the moment in 79 , or even maybe not back then !!!

i hear what you say but what you uncover.......i can already hear the conversation " oh alright then while youve got the engine out why not blah blah blah!!!!

meanwjile im 15k in ....unfinished .....wif and kids gone and the mistress had a sex chabge because of the stress of it all (and nicked the car to boot !!!!)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 1352

i am suitably re mortgaged and have my lump to play with!!!By the time you've finished paying for the car that 's all you might have left to play with !

Migration info. Legacy thread was 1353

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
b8n8tai
Back