Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Whirring Fan Noise in 964....?

Hi,

I'm sure its nothing, but being new to 964 ownership, I noticed that when you switch the ignition off, a fan-like whirring noise continues for a while, seemingly behind the ventilation controls. It does stop after a few minutes, but I wondered what it was for? I thought it might be something like the heater flaps being closed, but the noise does seem to come from behind the vent controls, and it goes on a bit too long to be that I think.

Also, is it true that the steering lock needs to be applied on a tiptronic-equiped car in order that all the live electrics on the car are shut off? One owner whose care I went to look at said he kept having flat battery problems which was solved (he says) when a dealer told him that power is still live to things like the window lifts UNLESS you apply the steering lock.

Anybody throw any light on this one. (great car, by the way and so glad I got it.....so far!!)

Cheers,

Marc

Migration info. Legacy thread was 1149

My Carrera 3.2 ('85) also seems to randomly keep running the fresh air fans with the ignition off.

Fiddling with the top (blue) vent levers next to the radio usually gets it to stop.

Must try putting the steering lock on to see if this disables the electrics on a 3.2, will save isolating the battery all the time.

However, I'm in Toronto at the moment on business so it will have to wait until next week...........you think it's cold/snowy in London today; sub-tropical compared to here 8)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 1152

Mine does that ( the fan thing ) - don't know about the tip bit tho' - manaul you see!

Andy

Migration info. Legacy thread was 1155

Marc,

Have you got air-con on your car? If I remember from a recent visit to JZ Machtech it might be the aircon system running on for a few minutes to clear/cool down the evaporator etc. By the way how does the tiptronic compare to a manual in terms of driving fun? I am considering a tiptronic g/box when I upgrade to a 993.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 1165

The aircon explanation sounds good to me! Otherwise I have no idea at all. How helpful of me.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 1168

Yeah,

Tiptronic is great. I was originally looking for a manual gearbox, but I tried a few manuals out, all of which either seemed excessively heavy/juddery in operation. I realize that I may have been unlucky with these particular cars but coupled with the fact that clutch/flywheel issues/expense I started thinking about a tiptronic, as I've got it on my 5 series BMW (and like it).

The Porsche tiptronic to drive is far more reactive than the BMW set up....this may be just because its a more powerful engine/lighter car, but I suspect the fact that its a 4 speed rather than the BMW's 5 speed box that helps. Also, I suspect the shift programme may be designed for alround better performance shifts anyway seeing as its on a Porsche!

So, in short, yes I would recommend Tiptronic-its very reliable, and very smooth and the car can be driven in lazy mode or effectively manual mode-its up to you!

Marc

Migration info. Legacy thread was 1185

Marc,

I have the same thing on my 993. It whirrs away merrily for a few minutes and then shuts off. I'm told that 964's are notorious for draining batteries as my old one did. I thought it was down to the lazer line, all singing/dancing/opening/closing I'd had fitted but apparently not. I can go a couple of weeks sometimes without driving. Beyond that and starting is more than a bit groggy.

Poon,

My 993 has tiptronic s, not a pre-requisite when I bought it, but I would'nt go back now. The dealer told me that most folks use it for the first couple of weeks and then leave it in automatic!!. I enjoy using it, but the auto comes in very handy on the left leg when I take my regular timeshare on the M25 or in town.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 1211

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Autocraft1
Back