Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

nearly a 911 owner

imported_paul b

i have previously got great feedback as i was looking into acquiring an older pre 73 911...i just test drove one and felt ot was a bit rudimentarary !!

i am now looking at a 911 3.0 SC from 1979 which is from henry at 911virgin.co.uk....and thopought this may be a good cheap way to start 911 ownership....its not silly money...i can pay for a full service/check , the car has fanatastic history and i think it may drive better ?

any thoughts.......the big plus for this one is i can buy it outright and have cash left for bits and bobs..well so i think !!!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 1116

Is that the brown Targa ? I've seen it in the flesh and it really isn't that exciting as I recall - that said it is cheap !

Jamie

Migration info. Legacy thread was 1117

Paul

The early 911's are rudimentary - after all they are 30 yrs old, but I would try to drive a few before you give up on them. In comparision, an SC will probably feel a little more modern (relatively speaking!), a little heavier and a little more torquey. There are LOADS of SCs out there and most of them are crap (not to put too fine a point on it). If you decide to go for an SC drive lots and have patience to find a good one. A cheap SC will probably cost you (pulled studs, rust, replacement gearbox are all problems affecting SCs) so you might be better off paying a bit more upfront and getting a good one.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 1138

thanks james and jamie

yes its the brown one and went to see it.......not thrilling but cheap as you say.....i also went to see a 1971 2.2 T which has been really worked on by Jaz in Wembley and this looked fab and drove great

thye other early 911's i saw/drove were at Tower (yuk) ! only cos they are near me in north london....oh how i swing !!....now i am liking the 1970 2.2 T !!!!!

i am meant to go and see a 1974 2.7S....but have been told today by a friend the 2.7 can be dodgy?

i am coming to the conclusion that you buy a cheap knackered one or spend a fortune !!!!

this car has only been given senior managemnt approval if its cheap
apparently conservatory is more ipmpportatnt than a weekened car for me.....the cheek of it !!!!!

so i have 10k...come on guys decide for me.......i want some driving fun thats all

thanks

paul

Migration info. Legacy thread was 1206

Here's what I would do if I were you.

If you have a garage I would find an extra £4k and buy a Carrera 2.7

If you don't have a garage I would buy a Carrera 3.0 . To my mind, these are more interesting than the SC that followed and closely resembles them. They are also more "Upgradeable" if you ever have to get into the engine. 240bhp can be had out of them relatively easily/cheaply. Plus you find the odd one which has chrome trim and looks a lot more classic than the later SC which was black trim only I think.

Alternatively speak to Nathan and get some leads on sub £10k lhd Carrera 3.2s. For £10k a 3.2 would be a great car.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 1208

thanks james

i dont have a garage so its the carrera 3.0..........what years am i looking at ?

what would ads say 911 Carrera 3.0 (i know this soounds like silly question , but thus far so many people mislead it seems!)...yu are right about the chrome trim...i like the " classic" look (nearly ww3 and i want chrome trim!!!...keeps you sane thougfh !!)

thanks again james you have really helpful

paul

ps....how do get in touch with nathan?...is he a dealer ?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 1210

Hi Paul, Nathan is one of our fellow posters on this site. If you search the whole forum for "3.2 £10k" I think you will find his post about the bargain 3.2 he found for sub £10k.

Re Carrera 3.0s, yes they should be advertised as exactly that. They are relatively rare but a search in "911 & Porsche World" magazine and Porsche Post should show up a few. I will did out a few Carrera 3.0 specfic details later and post them here but am a bit busy at work right now. Should get some time tonight.

Cheers, James

Migration info. Legacy thread was 1212

I think most will agree that you should buy the best you can afford.

All 70's and a lot of early 80's 911s are rusty, no matter that they were galvanized when new. Zinc galvanizing is a sacrificial form of rust prevention, ie the zinc will oxidize before the steel, but there is a limit to the amount of zinc, then the steel will start to corrode. Also any repairs to the car will have had an effect on the galvanizing, either where it has been welded, which requires the galvanizing to be ground off, by sanding prior to painting, or even by fitting non-galv panels. Have a look at some of teh pictures on tmy restoration

There are big savings (around 25 - 30%) by buying a LHD car, I'm sure that 10K will get you into a good LHD 3.2. Unless you really want one of the early cars a 3.2 will make a much better daily driver, quieter, with more modern ventilation, a torquier motor, probably less rust. The downside can be the lack of history.

Don't rush into 911 ownership, take time to look at as many cars as you can, browse the various dealer websites, buy the Club magazine, Porsche Post, there are always cars coming on the market.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 1213

thanks nick

i am kinda new to all this and i will take my time....thanks for the advice though....i look forward to when i ppost the message i bought one and hopefully you all wont groan and say oh no not one of them !!!!

cheers

paul

Migration info. Legacy thread was 1214

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Milno
Back