Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Bang goes the cap

oldcatbreath

Hi All

1976 2.7 targa.

When starting cold it often blows the black breather cap off (complete) inside the air filter.

I then have to replace the cap (securely) and everything is OK.

Anybody any ideas?

Do I need to glue the cap in it seems secure although it seems to be a push fit.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 866

That sounds like a pretty serious backfire and is not normal, I would say. The "breather cap" you refer to sounds like a pop-off valve of sorts. These are normally glued in place and are spring-loaded. However, you should not have so many major backfires. What is your starting routine? You should avoid touching the accelerator until after the car has fired up.

Also, you should have a perfect seal around the pop-off valve. If not you might experience other problems.

Cheers, James

Migration info. Legacy thread was 868

I suggest getting your ignition timing and fuel mixture checked , if you can't do that yourself find a word of mouth good Independent mechanic . I recommend Autostrasse in Coggeshal Essex.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 1373

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Max V
Back