Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

late 70's 911..open the flood gates!

felix

Hello there, I know this is either going to get no responses other than 'read the posted notes' or going to be overwhelming.

Ive been playing with british sports cars (MG's) for years, mainly due to the fun factor, cheap to run and repair story. I've been hankering for a 911 since I was younger and smaller than I am today.

I am intereted to know opinions 'briefly' as to favoured models, specs and years for a 'narrow' arch mid/late 70's 911. I'm not looking for a major muscle car, more a tidy, fun weekend driver witha little class. from there a can narrow the search a little. From where I stand, a stutgart virgin, it seems like a bit of a minefield of specs and models. anyone with a line drawn map would be very apreciated! :?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 509

<Sorry image not available after migration>
it appears I'm from Afganistan...not the case! Carnforth Lancs.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 510

To my mind the best of the 70's models (RS excluded due to unrealistic cost !) is the 3.0 Carrera, made for only a short time '75-'76 or '76-'77 (not exactly sure !) This one does attract a rarity premium over the other '70's 911s, but in performance terms it wipes the floor with them (and probably subsequent models until the 3.2).

I would strongly suggest having a look at some of the websites on the links section of the page, there really is a lot of good information out there (not all of it helpful admittedly !). Start reading 911& Porsche World, you'll quite quickly get a feel for the models on offer and the level of prices.

No doubt this will provoke arguments from fans of other models, but I hope it's a start !

Jamie

Migration info. Legacy thread was 513

Hi Felix

First off, apologies for the "look elsewhere on the forum" comments. I have a feeling I am responsible for those. Not very helpful is it. However, this is a totally new subject anyway!

When you say "narrow arch " I take it you mean you like slightly flared rear arches but don't want the "turbo look"? With the exception of one or two "special" models all 911s until 1974 had no flares at all. From 1974 onwards all normally aspirated 911s (except the specials) had slightly flared rear wheel arches and turbos had significantly flared front and rear arches.

So assuming you want the mildly-flared-arches-look you need to decide whether you "need" a galvanised car. Until the middle of 1976 the body of a 911 was not galvanised, and therefore is prone to rust. The first galvanised model of note was the Carrera 3.0 that Jamie mentioned. Also in 1977 there was a 2.7 litre 911S but to be honest these are best avoided as they have a number of known problems and are somewhat underpowered.

For most people, there is not a great deal of difference between the 200 bhp 1977 Carrera 3.0 and the 1978-1983 SC 3.0 that followed it (the early ones of which had 180bhp and the later of which had 204). SCs are a normally a couple of grand cheaper and offer a similar driving experience. You would have to drive a few of each to decide whether the Carrera 3.0 is worth the extra couple of grand over an SC.

It then starts to get complicated because the next model, the Carrera 3.2, is again, very similar to the SC but has a larger (3.2) engine and more advanced fuel injection. It produces 230 bhp. The reason it is complicated is that these cars are now very similiar in price to a Carrera 3.0 or SC, have more power and are up to 10 years younger. From 1987 the Carrera 3.2 also had a new gearbox, called the G50, which was a great improvement over the older model and feels a lot more modern. (The 915 gearbox found in the Carrera 3.0, SC and '84 to '87 3.2shas been described as feeling like "stirring-a-bucket-with-a-stick").

Personally, I like the slight rarity of the Carrera 3.0 and the fact that it is rare, can me modified to fairly easily produce 240bhp (with some engine changes), and is a bit lighter than the later cars make it a bit special.

For a better "time-line" than I just described have a look at:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/911/technical_specs/911_guthrie_faq.htm

Also, buy a few books. They are a small investment relative to the car! Paul Frere's 911 Story is excellent (but might be too detailed). Peter Morgan's nicely illustrated "Original Porsche 911" is great too and although it has less detail covers all the main points of each generation of 911.

When you start to settle on a model you could do a lot worse than talking to the Porsche Club GB representative for that model. Each model has a "register". For details on who to contact have a look at:

http://www.porscheclubgb.com/registerlist.asp

Cheers, James

Hope this helps.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 518

<Sorry image not available after migration>
to both James's,

thanks for the input. the book by Peter Morgan sounds like a good bed time read. I had been drawn to the Carrera 3.0. more by luck than judgement at that point. Will keep reading and hope to get up to spped soon! thanks again

Migration info. Legacy thread was 524

Felix,

A couple of further points on the 3.0 Carrera that might be of interest.

Despite the fact that it had the so called "Impact bumpers" (big black plastic things with the concertina type cover at the ends) imposed by the spoil sports in the US, the 3.0 still had lots of the nice chrome trim - around the windows etc, together with the black rim / polished petal type Fuchs wheels. All of which makes the 3.0 a much prettier car than the SC in my opinion (although more of an effort to keep shiney !)

May not be relevant, but as the 3.0 is that much older it does qualify for 'Classic' status (ie 25 years old) both for tax purposes, and also should you wish to rally / race it.

I think the rarity value of the 3.0 makes it that bit more attractive and worth the premium, more importantly there is a better chance that it will have been properly looked after. The SC was a much higher volume car and there are some dogs out there with suspect history and abused pasts.

Chuck yourself into reading about these things and you'll build up a picture pretty quickly.

Jamie

Migration info. Legacy thread was 526

...athough the "black look" trim of the SC was optional so you may find some without chrome.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 527

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Max V
Back