Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Spotlamp housings, chroming and LED DRL's

berni29

Paul Ricard
Hi

I have had my spotlamp housings chromed, and want to convert my spotlamps to LED DRL's. Does anyone know which H3 LED's work well with the projectors?

By "well" I know that they do not work properly as foglamps, but will be highly visible. The ideal LED will be small with emitters on the front face, not so much the sides.......

I know you can jump the relay to make the spotlamps come on with the ignition, off with the headlamps, and on again with the switch on the dashboard for when the headlamps are on.

All the best

Berni

berni29 said:
I have had my spotlamp housings chromed,
Berni

Any pics?

berni29 said:
I have had my spotlamp housings chromed,
Berni

Any pics?

Hello

Here is a quick snap taken indoors in low light. I will take a better snap tomorrow. The housings will actually take quite a long bulb, but the shorter the better. I have bought the LED type that have emitters at the side and also the end. I will examine the exact mounting options when they arrive.

I will also modify the projectors themselves by removing the shields that cut the light beam from shining upwards (important to reduce upward glare when being used as fog lamps) because they will now be DRL's and not fog lamps.

All the best

Berni

Attachments

• img_2538_2_213.jpg
    img_2538_2_213.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2,410
I have tried tons of LEDs in the front fog lights, and have found none that produce the correct light output pattern and intensity compared to the original H3 lamps. I have thought of finding a LED-based lamp with lens instead of the original projector lens construction, but have not found the time or inspiration to do this.
Cheers,
Tore

Tore is correct, it's very difficult to make an LED "fog light". When I put the vented front on (RS-style) I wanted to keep the side light + fog light capability by putting both into the new single unit using LED. But the bottom line is that the fog light element is a pale imitation (what a pun!) of the old style bulbs. See pic for how it was done and what it looks like.

I'm happy because I never actually use Fog lights in actual fog and now they do at least match the "blue" look of the converted headlights, rather than the very yellow look of the old side/fogs. So for me, this is a decent result.

But it ain't a proper fog light any more!

Attachments

• 20170929_161322_624.jpg
    20170929_161322_624.jpg
    913.4 KB · Views: 2,315
  • 20170929_175457_896.jpg
    20170929_175457_896.jpg
    525.3 KB · Views: 2,315
Hello

Yes Tore, the current LED's available are really not suitable for foglights.

Tobestec, they look good and are great DRL's but I am keeping to the standard factory look. Apart from the clear sidelights :)

I modified my spotlight housings to remove the shields. Before and after pictures below.....

Attachments

• progress_390.jpg
    progress_390.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 2,189
Apologies Gwsinc, Vulcan shotblasting Basildon did it. Its a chemical process, lacquer then process then lacquer. Actually they can chrome pretty much anything any colour.

I'm making progress. Glass on next. I probably should have bought new glass, but at least it will match the patina of the rest of the car.

Attachments

• img_2582_872.jpg
    img_2582_872.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 2,097
Hi Ian

They are standard housings. Apart from the damage sustained to them getting the lenses off that is. Some people smash the glass and spend time carefully extricating the remaining glass, but either way its a pain. The lenses are bonded to the housings with a tough grey silicone.

I bought a donor set (the originals are still on the car) as sacrificial offerings. So if it all went horribly wrong it would be ok.

Lenses are on (silicone sealant) and hopefully will fit tomorrow, make a modification to the relay and see how it works out.

Exciting times.

All the best

Berni

Hello again

It may not be actually possible, but I have been experimenting on getting the spotlights to work as DRL's. Removing the relay and jumping pin 3 to pin 5 in the socket for relay 31 turns the spotlights on with the ignition (good), but when you turn the headlights or sidelights on they do not go out (bad).

I want them to go out when the headlights or sidelights are on.

Anyone have any ideas?

I have fitted the chromed housings and i really like the results! Pictures tomorrow. I did sadly kill an LED sidelight removing it to change to the new housing, but hey there are always casualties in the name of progress.

All the best

Berni

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back