Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Tyre Conundrum

AMS911

Trainee
Hi Guys,

Have been away recently. Finally back into the 911 and it was due an MOT. After having the MOT completed. The very next day happened to have a complete flat tyre on the rear axel.

To cut a long story short, car was taken to my chosen OPC and as I have Tyre/Wheel Insurance, the tyre was swapped out. I also decided to have the other side changed whilst the car was in.

I collected the car and unlike me, I didn't bother to check the actual tyres which had been put on. The car has been run on Pirelli P Zero on all corners, since I've had it. For some odd reason the OPC has now fitted two Michelin's at the rear :frustrated:

So I'm now running Pirelli's at the front axel and Michelin at the rear! Waiting for the OPC to contact me regarding this, however where do I stand on this ? Is that even permissible to have different compounds on different axels ???

Different axles yes
Same axle no.
Get them to do you a deal on Michelins for the fronts problem sorted.

I'm going to lean towards they made a mistake ..

The reason , they might not have been able to get the same N rated tyres as the front but they should have gone with the same make but different N rated tyres .

Its Possible there are no Pirelli tyres available at all but i feel they would have mentioned this to you .

Love to know the answer when you get it though :)

@fzp The problem is my front tyres have plenty of life still left in them. They've got 5mm across both. So it doesn't make sense for me to switch over and be out of pocket imho.

@deMort. I believe its a mistake on the OPC's part anyway as their was no discussion and I wasn't informed at any point they would be using a set of Michelins. My only concern is they may use the fact that Tyre Insurance was used ? but then I paid full price for one of the new tyres :frustrated:

@buttertubs. This is another concern, I am happy with the Pirelli Pzero and its been great thus far. The Michelin they have used is the Pilot Sport and to the best of my knowledge this is an older tyre. I may have felt more comfortable and inclined to change the fronts had they have gone for a Super Sport 4s. :?:

buttertubs said:
which brand are preferable, or is that a whole new can or worms.

Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S. Thats what you want.

Slam shut that can of worms quickly!

OPC will tell you need N rated, tell them not to be stupid.

If they insist on N rated, MPS2's are, but MPS4S (note the S on the end, MPS4 is a different tyre) are the most modern best tyre around IMO. Great in the wet, brilliant in the dry. I used to have MPS2s, 4S is way way way in advance

Well, I think I'd replace the worn fronts with matching Michelins. I much preferred the Michelins to the PZeros.

Hi Guys,

Just an update, and good news !

Spoke to the OPC and discussed the issue the very next day. They stated that although not an excuse the error was made on their side. Supposedly the Pzero's are low stock and therefore the tyre supplier had sent out the michelins and the technician working on my car went ahead and fitted them. Try service advisor, Peter then advised that they will order the tyres in directly from Pirelli and as soon as their in if I am able to pop down they will get them fitted. I complained about time/travel costs involved due to the error. Popped down to get the tyres fitted on Friday afternoon. Gladly Peter went ahead and sorted a nice discount on the tyre I had paid for and had the car ready in good time. So a positive outcome. The OPC is Tonbridge, and although the initial error was made I am more than happy with the way they handled the situation. :thumbs:

AMS911 said:
Hi Guys,

Just an update, and good news !

Spoke to the OPC and discussed the issue the very next day. They stated that although not an excuse the error was made on their side. Supposedly the Pzero's are low stock and therefore the tyre supplier had sent out the michelins and the technician working on my car went ahead and fitted them. Try service advisor, Peter then advised that they will order the tyres in directly from Pirelli and as soon as their in if I am able to pop down they will get them fitted. I complained about time/travel costs involved due to the error. Popped down to get the tyres fitted on Friday afternoon. Gladly Peter went ahead and sorted a nice discount on the tyre I had paid for and had the car ready in good time. So a positive outcome. The OPC is Tonbridge, and although the initial error was made I am more than happy with the way they handled the situation. :thumbs:

good result

tyre mistakes do happen

Aghhh Tonbridge .. one of the best OPC,s out there as i feel this demonstrates ..

Also any garage admitting a mistake is a pleasant reply these days no blaming it on other factors .. a simple honest answer .

I'll admit we do use Tonbridge a lot for parts so im kinda biased but if i wanted to go back to an OPC Tonbridge would be my first point of call !

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DD77
Back