Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Where o where are the front crash sensors located?

berni29

Paul Ricard
Hi

I have found myself unexpectedly with some time on my hands so have been working through some "to do's" on the 993, and have arrived at the airbag light.

I have a half reasonable handle on what I need to do to fault find, but where o where are the front crash sensors located? I have trawled the internet and mine are nowhere to be seen.

Any guidance appreciated!

Berni

Im afraid im pretty much 996 onwards but i had a look and the images below are what i came up with ..

I think that unlike the 996 onwards you don't have individual sensors .. it's all contained in the triggering unit .. this is usually mounted in the center tunnel at the front .

Have a look below anyways and triggering unit is no. 1

Attachments

• ab3_1_155.jpg
    ab3_1_155.jpg
    338.1 KB · Views: 3,925
  • ab2_1_202.jpg
    ab2_1_202.jpg
    235 KB · Views: 3,925
  • ab_1_1_148.jpg
    ab_1_1_148.jpg
    385.1 KB · Views: 3,925
On LHD cars, I think the trigger unit is on the underside of the dash above the pedals. I don't know if this is transposed for RHD cars though.

Hi

I probably should have said, but my 993 is an early (1994) car and when running my Durametric on it I go in as a 964 airbag system.

One of the faults is left front crash sensor.

I wonder if that makes a difference?

Thank you for the help so far!

Berni

i've had a look at a 964 wiring diagram and yes it lists a left and right crash sensor .. but no location ..

If we go by the position of 996 onwards then they are located on the chassis legs or just about under the headlights both sides .

For a 993 then i would say they are close to the ceramic fan resistor .

In short i don't know but this is the logical place for them to be based on the other models .. 996 .. 997 etc and they are located there .

Hello

Thank you again. On the 964 I think they are on the chassis rails inboard of the suspension turrets. Not on my car though. There are surprisingly few pictures of these sensors.

If the 964 has them and also the later cars then the 993 (late or early must have them also I would think.

I think the triggering unit is something else and although I have not seen it is up under the dash above the tunnel (ish).

I shall have another internet trawl.

Berni

Wiring diagrams for your car and the 93 year 964 ..

You car doesn't have them listed whilst the 964 does .. im stumped im afraid .

EDIT .. just to check .. do you have an airbag light on ?

I'm just thinking that as your are using the 964 route then it might flag up a fault as the 964 has them but the 993 doesn't :dont know:

No airbag light on and there is no fault basically .

Attachments

• airbag_964_93_year_1_759.jpg
    airbag_964_93_year_1_759.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 3,746
  • airbag_993_1_118.jpg
    airbag_993_1_118.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 3,746
deMort

Thank you again. Yes its a strange one. My car definitely does not have them.

Airbag light fully on. It happened after I changed the steering wheel to a lovely new airbag equipped Atiwe one.

I have changed the clockspring, and can communicate with the module via my durametric.

I will get up under the dash soon and check the trigger unit connections.

Berni

Just a thought .. as i said i mainly work on the newer models and with these you can have the same control unit .. ie rear end which is used on different vehicles ..

We have to code it to the correct vehicle ... can you look at the coding of the airbag control unit and see if its coded to a 993 .

Logically what you have done should not have caused this but on the newer cars then coding can get scrambled for no real reason .

luftd993 said:

Hello Luft!

Thank you for the link. I had seen that article before a long time ago and had totally forgotten this bit......

"The 1995 993-based Carrera saw the removal of the right and left front impact sensors. The Rolamite type switches were replaced by the Micro Electro Mechan­ical System (MEMS) Accelerometer"

So I shall stop trying to find them :)

Also worryingly it says .....

"Faults that cannot be erased require control unit replacement"

I don't like the sound of that!

Tks again

Berni

I may be mistaken, but I was under the impression that Euro spec 993s had a single point sensor mounted somewhere on the center tunnel.

The PET for the 964 shows the sensors so it appears if you have a control / switch unit with the 944 or 964 part numbers, you will have a left and right sensor.
Berni, if you have the airbag light on and want to plug in a Bosh hammer, I have one and I'm not that far from you if you want to pop over. Send a pm.

Hello Guys!

I was up under my dash earlier today and got sight of the single airbag control unit. Also the passenger airbag connector. I will clean both of those tomorrow.

I will also have a general wiring tidy up (parrot and aftermarket stereo install). I shall also try and find and clean any other airbag related connectors I can find.

Getting the glovebox out was a right pain!

Luft! Thank you for the very kind offer. Once I have gone as far as I can I will try my durametric again, and if I fail to extinguish the light I will be back in touch! The duramertric gives such strange codes. Maybe your Bosch is more rational :)

Thanks again

Berni

Hello again

Well, I cleaned all of the contacts including the main one to the control module, and no luck.

These are the latest codes.......Can anyone make sense of these?

Also the airbag light used to flash for a moment on attempted reset, but now it just stays on.

Berni

Attachments

• img_2248_943.jpg
    img_2248_943.jpg
    638.2 KB · Views: 3,286

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drthein
Back