Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Annoying buzz under load

pierrebear

Nurburgring
Hi all,

This is a bit of a long shot but...I recently had a valet which included a steam clean of the engine bay (now looks lovely and shiny). Ever since though I've noticed that at around 2.5k or 3k revs there is an annoying buzzing sort of noise - the sound deadening is (to quote Zingers) saggier than an octogenarian's whatsits but...does anyone have any clues as to where I might start trying to resolve this?

Thanks in advance.

Pierre

P.S. Moral of the story is that I should just drive it and keep it dirty!

The sag is easily sorted with a engine tidy strip thingumymajig!

I had hated the drone from the rear bulkhead at motorway cruising speed, so fitted new interior sound deadening, but your description is something different, I'd think.

Hi Pierrebear,

Can't help with the buzz but have attached pics of before and after with the tidy strip. :thumb:

ATB :)

Attachments

• after_1_lo_rez_656.jpg
    after_1_lo_rez_656.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 2,278
  • before_1_lo_rez_157.jpg
    before_1_lo_rez_157.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 2,278
You lot are a terrible influence...anyone got a linky to where I might buy? Is it a DIY job to install?

pierrebear said:
You lot are a terrible influence...anyone got a linky to where I might buy? Is it a DIY job to install?

Tore/Bergville sell the tidy strip. I believe they are made in the US and Tore distributes the product.

Hi

Buzzes from the rear could be heatshield related. Perhaps get someone to rev your car while you listen around.

Is the car manual? if so you could depress the clutch and let the engine revs fall back and see if the noise remains.

Best of luck!

Berni

I think you might be on to something with the heatshields Bernie. It is only in a specific part of the rev range but seems to be quite a fixture. Think I might take it into a friendly garage and take a look at the state of the heat shields. Was a verdict ever reached on whether they are even necessary?! (runs away from the Illuminati's screams)

Hello again

If it is the heat shields and they are loose then it will likely be audible in a specific rev range due to resonance.

I can tell you that the shields really are necessary in my opinion. The heat build up under and around the engine is just incredible.

All the best

Berni

pierrebear said:

Hi pierrebear, I got mine back in August 2016 from Germany for €82.00 which included the strip the plastic nuts and DHL to Spain. It was a 10 minute fix.

This is the email address of the supplier: [email protected]

Good communication and I paid with PayPal so secure.

ATB :)

Attachments

• strip_lo_rez_150.jpg
    strip_lo_rez_150.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 2,126
Ah the old Motorraumdà¤mmmattenleiste ......

Also available in carbon :)

At the risk of going off topic, how easy is it to remove the sound damping material from the top of the engine bay? Is it an engine drop job?
And can you just rip it out and not replace? It looks manky, and I can't imagine it does very much. Has anyone removed theirs?

I got a pad tidy for less than half of the above price from a fellow 993er who's active on these forums. Check out @993.pad.tidy on Instagram.

As for the buzz, it sounds like it'll be a case of getting your hands in there and gently wiggling things to see if they're the source, quite possibly something was removed and not re-seated properly. Exhaust heat shields also a likely cause.

To remove the engine pad you have to take the engine out. So the pad tidy is definitely the simplest way to go!

Counter Of Beans said:
At the risk of going off topic, how easy is it to remove the sound damping material from the top of the engine bay? Is it an engine drop job?
And can you just rip it out and not replace? It looks manky, and I can't imagine it does very much. Has anyone removed theirs?
I had mine completed removed and replaced. Yes - it's an engine out job. A new sound pad is not expensive at all but of course if you're dropping the engine the final bill probably will be.

I did contemplate removing it but am sure I read, either here or on Rennlist, it's quite effective at protecting the cabin from resonance so I had a new one put in, as the car is used for all purposes. For a track car, maybe it's better out.

At ~23 years old it was quite dry/crusty/falling apart (most of it you cannot see) so not sure how effective the Motorraumdà¤mmmattenleiste strip thingy is, apart from tidying up the small portion you can see...

Hi

Its been a while but I am pretty sure I removed mine with the engine in situ. It may have come out in chunks though. I prefer it not to be there. I like to hear the engine. I do not think it makes much of a difference when it comes to exhaust boom or resonance.

Berni

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
briant1000
Back