Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Barn stored 996

L8ydg

Monza
Hey guys i have a 3.6 4s, however a friend of a friends father passed away recently and i have been offered his 3.4 996, 47k on the clock and a one owner car!
However it has been sat for 2years+ in a dry barn/large garage not started or rolled at all!
When i viewed all the tyres were completely flat and it had been left with the drivers window down so a far amount of cobwebs inside, with about half inch of dust.

Has full service history up until june, 2016 so obviously it is going to need a decent service.

The daughter hasn't started it at all, neither did it.
Any advice on what to do? will it be safe to simply put in a new battery and start it? or is there anything i should do before hand? I could drain and swap the oil before start if it would be the best thing to do?
Any advice is welcome and thanks in advance

L8ydg said:
Hey guys i have a 3.6 4s, however a friend of a friends father passed away recently and i have been offered his 3.4 996, 47k on the clock and a one owner car!
However it has been sat for 2years+ in a dry barn/large garage not started or rolled at all!
When i viewed all the tyres were completely flat and it had been left with the drivers window down so a far amount of cobwebs inside, with about half inch of dust.

Has full service history up until june, 2016 so obviously it is going to need a decent service.

The daughter hasn't started it at all, neither did it.
Any advice on what to do? will it be safe to simply put in a new battery and start it? or is there anything i should do before hand? I could drain and swap the oil before start if it would be the best thing to do?
Any advice is welcome and thanks in advance

I would want to know why it has been parked up since 2016 for peace of mind - if it was just because of ill health etc i'd jump at the chance.

If okay get it on a trailer to your local indy (unless your handy with the spanners), get a major service/small recommission, a good detail inside and off you go.

Will be fine, fresh battery, jump in and enjoy.

2 years is nothing.

As above try and find the reason it was parked first, might save you wondering why it wont start.

The ethanol in the petrol will have evaporated, meaning its low octane. Will probably not run great. If its pretty full I'd be draining it, but nearly empty just fill the tank with the good stuff.

Sounds an interesting opportunity.

I would change the oil and then turn the engine over without starting it, so you can check you have oil pressure (plus gets oil to everything before it gets stressed).
As Wasz said the fuel will be old. Sometimes when left for long periods, petrol can turn to a varnish-like substance, which gums lots of things up. There are additives that can help avoid this, but am guessing the car wasn't laid up with this. So I would expect some rough-running till it gets cleaned through.

You may want to do a check the tyres, they do age. They will also be date-coded.

L8 - what a great and interesting project.

Please keep us all informed of progress; any chance you can take a load of photos when you next see it. Would be great to see a 'now' and then 'then' set of photos...

Osh

Osh said:
L8 - what a great and interesting project.

Please keep us all informed of progress; any chance you can take a load of photos when you next see it. Would be great to see a 'now' and then 'then' set of photos...

Osh

:agree:

Wow how exciting! Pics pics pics!

Sounds cool. Nice find. 8)

As said it should be fine as far as seized engine goes etc, but obviously you need to know it wasn't parked up with an already knackered engine.

I'd just put it in neutral to push it and check the brakes are free, after pumping the tyres up obviously.

Then I'd leave it in gear, engine off and rock the car gently whilst watching the auxiliary belt/pulleys move, to check it isn't seized. It won't be though, so that maybe over kill. It's a 5 second test though so...

Then pull fuse C4 for the fuel pump and turn it over on the key until you get oil pressure. It'll seem like ages but should only actually be about 5 seconds or so.

After that refit the fuse and fire it up.
Go easy on it for a few heat cycles and then fingers crossed you've found a good'un. :thumb:

I look forward to seeing how it pans out.

Of course all the above applies to manual C2s only. If it's a Tiptronic with Savannah interior then kill it with fire. :D

Thanks for all the advise guys!
Yea i know the car pretty well, they guy was known for polishing the car within an inch of its life, was simply parked up one day, the guy had a stroke and then didn't leave the house really, My oldman was in the same skittles team as him (pre stroke)

Its a manual c2 in lapis blue, i think its called, black leather and a basic spec from what i can tell.

It really isn't my colour TBH, the plan for it is to gift it to my fathers on his 60th in April, he loves my 996 but hates the loud exhaust, bucket seats etc, so think it will be perfect for him.

Hopefully il get back over this weekend and spend a few hours looking her over, battery ordered and will take some decent fuel, as the battery is completely dead i could not see how much was in there but will drain if needed.

Thanks again guys

Definitely photos first, of everything, from every angle.
The brakes will probably be seized. You might be really lucky and find the handbrake was left off. Hopefully the clutch will not be seized, and with the engine started you can free off the brakes by gently moving the car. If not they'll need stripping.
I should think the tyres will be knackered having sat with the side walls folded for a while, but they might well hold air and get you moving.
A quick check for rodents inside and out would be advisable too!

Once running I should think a full service - every fluid and filter on the car - would be advisable and be prepared for electrical fun, especially if it's got damp. But there's not much you can do about that other than shake it down and deal with things as and when.

Good luck, sounds great.

L8

Please take LOADS of piccies of it this weekend

Lovely idea to gift it to your father; what a smashing thing to do. Can I suggest, if you have an iPhone, you take lots and lots of piccies at every single stage, then get Apple to print the piccies in an album for you - give him that at the same time.

Priceless!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Timjar
Back