Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

looking for a 997.1 what options are the ones to have

buttertubs

I'm currently on the hunt for a 997.1 manual coupe, but obviously I'm finding the cars have massively varying spec's. I'm after a little help with the followings

1. what are the must have options on a gen 1 car.

2. I've been looking for a 2wd car, but are there any real downsides to a 4wd car

3. my initial aim was always to get a Carrera S but should I be considering a well spec'd non-S car an option

I'm aware of the mechanical pit falls with a gen one but thought I'd post the above to help find a car that's suitably spec'd.

thanks for any help

The only 'must have' options are those that are important to you. eg. Many will say "sun-roof" but I've never used mine in 10 years. Others will say "PSE" but despite loving the howl I prefer stealth mode on any car I actually own.

Given the potential 'issues', if you can find a suitable 997.1 you might find that you'll need to compromise on things such as 'colour-combo' and spec'.

Similarly to the above, there are those that would only go for a RWD 911 but in all honesty most people would be hard pushed to tell the difference. AWD gives extra stability in damp, wet conditions and I can't think of any downsides.

The 'S' was the more popular car but depending on what you've had before I'd doubt if you'd find the 3.6 lacking. Many say it's actually a nicer car to drive.

Happy Hunting. :thumb:

Depends on you ? Spec is a very individual thing as you well know, for instance there was NO way I was buying a car with a sun roof or a rear wind screen wiper, that is just my personal preference. Like you I wanted Manual as there was NO way I was driving a Porsche without a manual box.

It had to be a 4S, Colour wise it had to be grey !

I managed EVENTUALLY to find the car, or rather I'd stopped looking and only casually glanced every few months, I was given the heads up by a friend of a friend who was fastidious beyond belief, so it kind of found me.

GT Silver...... so I said NO straight away !
The options on it are crackers, there's virtually every option ticked,
sport design steering wheel which I thought would have been nice,
Adaptive seats
Factory short shift box
Extended leather
Heated seats
Cruise control
BOSE
6 Disc Changer
Auto dimming rear and side mirrors
Factory Aero Kit
GT Silver
PSE
And a few other bits I can't remember

Out of all that all I wanted was no wiper and no sun roof, PSE would have been a nicety but not a deal breaker,

If I were looking now having had PSE it would Definately be on the list, look at how many people want it.
I got Red callipers as it was a 4S, that was also on my list, every PORSCHE I'd hankered after had Red callipers so I needed these,

Just take your time, have a list, must haves and nice to have ?

Like the others have said it depends upon what you are going to use the car for and what you want it to do / look like, but for me i would be looking out for a car with Sports Chrono as it really sharpens the car up and would be difficult to retro fit, where as if you want a short shift and you find the perfect car but it doesn't have it, you can fit it quite easily and it wont cost the earth. The same goes for wheels, exhaust, seats or steering wheel which can be changed and doing so will also add to the fun of your ownership making the car yours.

Obviously the more extras fitted from factory the better but i would set your budget get your list of colours cars you would have and wait it out to find the best car that comes up with the most boxes ticked. But above all i would still buy a lower miles car with better history than a top spec one that has sketchy past. If you can find a car with the X51 power kit in budget that's the one but good luck on that.

For me, when I was looking, it had to be 2wd, had to be an 'S", had to be manual and had to have Sports Chrono. Also had to be low mileage.
I got all of the above and more, if I was looking again I would want PSE as well, which mine has luckily :D

Of the options options....

PSE, PASM, Chrono, Extended Leather

The rest are down to preference.

And also don't forgot that some options/differences can be easily retro fitted.
Red calipers on a non S car - easy job to remove and send for refurb
Wheels - loads on eBay often not v expensive
Seats - possible - come up in eBay quite often
Sports exhaust - remove silencers and get a gundo hack
Other thing are much harder.

My car didn't have the extended leather but I managed to track down full leather door panels and the side covers for the centre console - the only part I can't be bothered with is the dash - just too much work!
It all adds to the sense of making it your own car...
I do have sports chrono and personally think it's over rated - I never use it.
Sound system/sat nav - don't bother getting excited as none of it is v good - rip out and install your own.

For me - sports seats are nice, bum warmers are a must, manual, sunroof, good exterior colour/good interior (black). But each to their own..

I would echo many about personal choice.

My choice in hierarchy of importance.

Manual Transmission

Do you really want an automatic Porsche ? I wouldn't even want a PDK, as good as it is,..so i big no to the tiptronic..sorry tips owners !

Sports Exhaust

These can be retrofitted..as i have done with a valved system (Topgear). But if you have a choice of cars with or without of similar spec / cost ...get it..you will only regret it and likely fit an after market system. It simply enhances that driving experience...and that surely is what its all about ?..

Wheels

I don't have anything against many of the stock wheels, such as the Lobster claws, but as someone who religiously changes their car wheels..I'd get a car with a set of Sports classic, or in my case Sport Designs.

[u]Sport Chrono[/u]

Not essential but a nice to have as a toy. Don't have it personally but wished i did.

Head Unit / Speakers

The stock PCM units are utter garbage. Many will fit aftermarket heads units with a surround as the 997's (&987's) do not have a standard double din. Personally i think the surround with a Din 2 stereo looks a little Heath Robinson..but again personal choice. There are at least 3 manufacturers who make 997 specific head units....with Android..so you can play Angry birds in traffic jams !!!![/u]

As for many others, such s the Sport Design Steering wheel, etc.. then you can retro fit them yourself...as i and many have done....and that is part of the fun and feeds the obsession :puh: :puh:

When the SC option comes up, so many seem to lean towards associating it with the lap timing. It's the throttle mapping it provides that's actually what's important here. Sports cars should be rev happy, I find non SC throttle response dull and uninspiring.

That said, a SprintBooster can be fitted to get round that with mush the same effect.

rob_p said:

Wow, are you sure it's working, the throttle response is night and day different on mine, the car feels sluggish without it on. The first thing I do when I I start mine up is click the sport button, followed immediately by switching the pasm back off. I have the added advantage that it switches the -pse on as well :D

Gray79 said:
rob_p said:

Wow, are you sure it's working, the throttle response is night and day different on mine, the car feels sluggish without it on. The first thing I do when I I start mine up is click the sport button, followed immediately by switching the pasm back off. I have the added advantage that it switches the -pse on as well :D

yep - it works. I find it quite aggressive and "jerky" - i prefer to just let the car rev smoothly up through the range - ideally keeping it above 4,000 if i'm "on it".
It's a matter of opinion i guess but i am not the first person on this forum with that view.
Each to their own...

Gray79 said:
rob_p said:

Is yours Manual or Auto

C4Silver said:
Gray79 said:
rob_p said:

Is yours Manual or Auto

Manual

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back