Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Continental Stereo Fitment

DAVIDGT996

Sent my car of for its MOT last week - sailed through. Whilst with my mechanic I asked him to swap the stereo for a Continental Stereo that was recommended on this forum.

After installing the stereo the lights on the stereo came on but no sound whatsoever.

I assumed this was a straight swap with no messing about with harnesses.

Does anybody know if I need any other cables to make this work or maybe I have a dud Stereo.

It should be a straight plug into the existing wiring loom. But maybe not if you have the Bose set up?

Someone will be along to confirm shortly I imagine.

CDR-22

I have a CDR-22 in there at the moment with a Kenwood Amp.

Any idea what harness is needed?

Continental TR7412UB-OR going in.

Mine was a straight swap, there are 3 plugs at the back and they all swapped over to the conti without issue, however I didn't have a separate amp and I suggest there in lies your problem. Your radio will trigger the amp and the speaker wires will be fed from the amp. There will be an rca lead from the radio to the amp that sends the sounds. This is where I would start my search :thumb:

I spoke Dynamic sounds and sent them pictures of the wiring in the car and they sold me an adapter to go between the unit and the original wiring. I am sure any decent ice company could advise and supply.

Ok thanks for your help.

Trip to the Car Audio shop to see if they can sort me out the correct wiring harness.

DAVIDGT996 said:
Ok thanks for your help.

Trip to the Car Audio shop to see if they can sort me out the correct wiring harness.
If you don't have one locally, pictures emailed in worked for me and super quick delivery.

If I remember correctly the Continental units do not have any RCA pre-outs, so assuming the unit is trying to play via the speaker wire connections which don't go anywhere anymore.

A simple Speaker to RCA pre-out is required and then plug the RCA cables back in (as assuming not currently plugged in any more).

Should be job done

the cdr22 radio has no phono out on the back of it the same as the continental radio. It takes the amp feed, power on and audio signals off the mini iso block at the back, the 3 plugs that click together to make one plug : that should be the same between the old cdr22 and the new continental, are you sure the mechanic used all the plugs?
The vast majority of radios only use the two standard iso blocks one for speakers, one for power so he could be forgiven for missing the mini iso block: I would imagine it just needs that plugging in to the continental radio.

The Conti and the Becker units use the same outputs in the ISO blocks IIRC, but the Conti is amplified, the Becker isn't, so the Bergvil mini-loom resolves that by (assumption!) use of cunning resistors/similar.

Errm, that's not actually correct, I think you are getting confused between iso block (A&B) and mini iso block (C)
Both cdr22 and the continental head units have internal amplifiers and if you used them to connect up either direct to some speakers via the iso block B you would get sound out. I have a basic set up in my 996, no amps and this is how my cdr22 connected and how my double din connects now.
The mini iso block (block C)above the standard iso block has different outputs and inputs including one section of the block which runs out line level unamplified signal to send to a power amp. There's shared common ground and a switch on 12v signal for the external amp. This is what provides the music signal for the factory amplified systems.
ISO 10487 harness A, B and C. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Connectors_for_car_audio

Interesting, my Becker was setup to run with an amplifier so I assumed it didn't have amplification in the head unit, but it's more flexible to have both I guess.

When I bought the Conti unit from BergvilFX I bought the correct harness from him to turn the amplified signals into the equivalent of line-out/unamplified signals that the amp could accept, as Bergvil said it didn't have line-out natively, only amplified outputs.

some of the pin out's differ on block C to that Wiki article, I spent some time messing about with a voltmeter and a new plug wiring up a handsfree retrofit to the CDR22 but then eventually went double din as I couldn't live without proper sat nav

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back