Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Power Steering Lines

Tycho

Nurburgring
I have recently got an early Boxster (1998) to keep me occupied during the winter. The last big job is the power steering pipes, pressure & return, pump to rack. The ones on my Boxster are showing their age & have suffered from missing / damaged undertrays (also being addressed). New Porsche ones are rather pricey & I have seen mention of getting lines made up by a hydraulic hose company. I have phoned round a few without success – they seem want to any originals to copy and my mechanic mate thinks that won't work as mine are too bent out of shape.
Has anyone had any success replacing these pipes? I will put something on the 996 forum as I believe that they are pretty similar.

Are you talking about the steel lines on the rack or the hydraulic hoses from the pump to the front of the car ?
There is a company in Coventry that make the steel lines for the rack for around £50, I believe they are in Balsall Common, but I don`t the name of the company. If it`s the hoses, then I use a hydraulic hose company with my work, thay are called Pirtek and have mobile vans all over the UK :thumb:

It's the back to front pipes I am after. I have phoned my local Pirtek & they said they needed good lines to copy in their workshop. I was hoping they could do something mobile but they did not seem keen.

Hmmm, that`s strange as in all the years I`ve been using them, they have come to site every time, I have never been to a Pirtek workshop/branch :nooo:
Can you pop the pipes off and take them to them or is that not possible :?:

I would try another branch and see what they say :grin:

Thanks, I will try another branch, there are another couple in the area.

I`m a little bit confused Tycho, is it the hard lines back to the pump from the front that run under the car that are damaged or just the hoses where they join the hard lines :?:
If it is the VERY common issue of where the hard lines join the hoses at the front of the car in the drivers side wheel arch then it is an easy fix !
The Alloy Ferrule on the hose corrodes and eventually lets go, the widely used fix is to put 1 ( or as I have done placed 2 ) small jubilee clips round the pipe and just pushed it back to it`s proper position and tightenned them up :grin:

pYnMDbH.jpg

It's the hard lines. I have done a lot of reading in the past few days & seen the jubilee clip fix mentioned – glad to hear that it works.
My mechanic mate tells me that these hard lines are been knocked around / bent out of shape in the past so that they are no longer fit into the support clips. He has a really practical approach but is wary of just trying to bend them back and causing worse damage. I am thinking that I may be making too big a thing of this but now I know I have a potential problem my usual approach is to get it fixed up front. I will have another chat with him, if the lines are sufficiently sound the pragmatic thing might be to just improvise some more supports.
Thanks for your help.

Had the same problem. Didn't like the idea of a bodge job, so I stumped up the cash for proper replacements. Was about £2k all in, including dropping subframe and rack to get old pipes out that had welded themselves in!

Get it done properly however you decide.

Quick up-date, managed to get my hands on some used lines in A1 condition at very good price. Also picked up 3 of the 4 undertrays I need. Still trying to get the back under engine tray, looks like it will be OPC for that one.
Thanks for the help.

Tycho said:
Quick up-date, managed to get my hands on some used lines in A1 condition at very good price. Also picked up 3 of the 4 undertrays I need. Still trying to get the back under engine tray, looks like it will be OPC for that one.
Thanks for the help.

Good man! You'll enjoy it more with proper parts. Just make sure it's the right lines, there are I think 3 or 4 different versions.

I'm going to fit the 997 rear triangle to the back of the rear undertray too, offers a bit more protection.

Just when I think I have finished! What is the 997 rear triangle & do I need it! I have already got a rear axle protective plate (98633116301) ready to fit in the next phase. There is one on the car at present but its a bit bent, looks like it might have been used to lift the car.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Timjar
Back