Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Are 996's selling?

eabeukes

After some shocking quotes this afternoon for a new Variocam unit, I'm looking to possibly make a sale. The 996's on the classifieds don't seem to be shifting, and even the ones that do seem to be priced sub-10k.
Has anyone noticed otherwise? Mine's had all (Triggers broom nearly)'work done and tallying up the invoices I think I'll lose a few thousand at current prices.
:sad: :frustrated:

I think you've got a combination of a poor time of year for people to be buying sports cars, and continued uncertainty from the political situation.

Prices for these cars are going to come under a lot of pressure as formerly more expensive stuff is also pushed down.

Any details on what is wrong with your Variocam?

MC

If you're looking to sell it while it needs expensive repairs you are going to take a double hiding surely?

It's dead out there.
Mainly just the time of year but we'll see in spring time I guess.

I agree though, trying to sell a faulty car is never a good idea.

PS. A mate of mine paid £230k for a Huracan Perf a year ago and he's getting offers of £170k now.
Now that's what you call taking a hit. He's just gonna keep it instead. Most folk I know are taking this approach at the moment. If you don't need to sell, DON'T.

I think we'll know a lot more in summer, which isn't that far away really.

Also gives you the time to save up to get the Variocam fixed, which means you'd get more for the car if you did sell it.

I don't think anything is selling last year I tried to sell 3 of my cars and only got low ball offers from people who had not come to see them

This year I probably will need to sell my 996 but given it's not worth a lot right now it would probably be better to keep it until the market picks up. That said will the 996 ever be that sort after? I'm not so sure

Winny

I was looking at buying a 996 for a couple of years before I bought my 997 last year, and some of the same cars are still for sale now that were for sale back then. Some disappear off the for sale sites for a month or two then reappear again. With quite a few 997s dipping below £20k now it has to push the price of 996s down. Only turbos, GTs and very nice 4Ss are worth £20k or more in my opinion, Carreras struggle to sell much above £13k unless very low mileage.

This is only my take on the current market, I know some will disagree :dont know:

996 prices are unbelievable IMHO for the car you are getting. Yes they have their achilles heels but so do many other cars. A 'bomb proof' engine rebuild can be north of 10k but no one seems to baulk at an air cooled engine rebuild.

I've said before I'd love an a/c but its probably 40k plus contingency whereas the 996 is half that.

I'm not owning to make money but at some point 996's will go up, wont they??

eabeukes said:
After some shocking quotes this afternoon for a new Variocam unit, I'm looking to possibly make a sale. The 996's on the classifieds don't seem to be shifting, and even the ones that do seem to be priced sub-10k.
Has anyone noticed otherwise? Mine's had all (Triggers broom nearly)'work done and tallying up the invoices I think I'll lose a few thousand at current prices.
:sad: :frustrated:

The irony of your signature OP.

Who knows if we'll ever see price rises again. By the time we would, Will the cars be taxed off the road? But remember, cars never used to go up in value. :wink:

There's some sort of environmental story on every news bulletin these days so the powers that be clearly want to brain wash us. Drive a petrol car down your local high street (another soon to be extinct feature of old) in 20 years time and you'll probably get pelted with tomatoes. :grin:

Basically, buy the car you like and enjoy driving it. I think we are safe for another decade but after that who knows.

Re 997s pushing 996 prices down, they will in the shorter term as a lot of people just want the newest 911 they can get for their money, especially if it's to be a daily driver.
For me personally if I had a £20k budget I'd be buying an early 996 C2 manual coupe, with aerokit ideally.
A 911 for me is a weekend toy only, hence I want involvement and no gadgets.
I don't want any screens, sat nav or other stuff in a weekend fun car.

As I say though it depends on your intended use. :thumb:

996s are amazing value for money though. We are biased on here but that's because we've sampled other cars and know good these are.
What else can you get for £15k-£20k that looks great, sounds great and drives great and is as happy as dally driver as it is a weekend toy.
They are brilliant cars and you'll struggle to get better steering feel from anything this side of a Caterham.

Somebody out there must be selling 996's as every other week Marcus Walker has got another one :)

Is he buying Carreras now?
I knew he had a Mk2 GT3 but that was the last I saw of the scruffy old git. :grin:

I bought one a few weeks ago so they are selling. Overpriced stuff will not sell though as with any make of car. Unfortunately what people on forums think their car is worth and what it will actually sell for are seldom the same. Price price price, it's all down to price.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back