Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Tyre Questions Again

Moko

Nurburgring
So the good news is my car passed its MOT today with just two advisories. One being a couple of very small chips in the windscreen on passengers sides the other was a little more serious a cut in the rear tyre sidewall.

The tyres themselves have enough tread but I'd like to definitely change the damaged one but I'm not sure if they even make them anymore....I've put a picture below but it just says Michelin Pilot Sport N3 on it. Would it be possible to buy just the one of the new PS4 tyres or do you definitely need to do these in pairs?

Any other makes/types I should consider as the two fronts will probably need doing before too long as well?

Attachments

• 9bbe2f15_a388_42f3_9a6c_f4878120d160_902.jpeg
    9bbe2f15_a388_42f3_9a6c_f4878120d160_902.jpeg
    825.1 KB · Views: 896
A cut in a sidewall or the tread thats down to coords allows water in .. this will rust the coords and weaken them .. hence its an MOT failure ..

If the cut is not down to the coords then water can Not rust the coords and technically there is no problem and you can use them as normal .

ref replacing tyres on an axle .. if N rated then you want the same N rating each side .. this is due to the size difference .. strange as it may seem but an N rated tyre and a non N rated tyre can be larger or shorter .. this effects the rolling circumference and can cause Psm / Abs problems .

different N ratings and the same .

if you have say an N4 on one side and you can source an N4 for the other then the tread difference each side must be no more than 3 mm ... if not then you need to replace both sides .

Your current tyre is a PS2 (under 'sport'), still a great tyre and readily available :thumb:

Looking at that photo closely, the side wall looks a tad brittle so I would be looking to replace as a pair. You may be fine with one but for the sake of a couple of hundred quid.....
My Bridgestones are making way for PS4s in the spring (currently SORN) as they are beginning to crack but still have 5 - 6mm of tread.
It's just not worth taking the risk with any car let alone high speed sports cars.

I think the bigger issue here is the lack of tyre dressing and the general filth of the tyre. :grin:

I know I've made the terrible mistake of driving it hundreds of miles rather than leaving it in the garage all winter :D

Moko said:
I know I've made the terrible mistake of driving it hundreds of miles rather than leaving it in the garage all winter :D

Shocking mate. You should be ashamed. :floor:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back