Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Sound of trickling water

Schwaben

Silverstone
When it rains or has rained heavily I hear trickling water when driving more than 50mph. It is around the windscreen or A pillar on the driver's side. The car does not leak but this is irritating and costly as the indie are unable to work out the issue nor have encountered it previously. The windscreen seal is ok and they reglued the scuttle. As I'm new to the 997 is this normal, could it be the sound of water blowing under boot area where battery is? If not any ideas please. Thanks.

Interesting .. do you have a sunroof ?

The drain pipe for the roof goes behind the A pillar trim .. it's possible there is a blockage thats keep some water in there hence the noise ..

It's not standard that i'm aware of as i've never heard it before .

On Cayennes you can get water trapped in the sill due to blocked drains and a sloshing noise .. not seen it on a 997 though and its lower down than the A pillar.

the drain bungs are each side of the battery .. easy to see if blocked and i would certainly assume they have been checked to see if blocked .. i think i would tend to remove them just to be sure ... leaves a very nice hole that nothing will block .

DIY test .. masking tape around the windscreen seal .. just to rule out anything in that area but sunroof drain is my guess atm .. please don't tell me it doesn't have one as that would make me look bad :D

Thanks for.feedback. I do have a sunroof but I believe the garage said the drains were sealed. I'll check. Interestingly I drove back tonight in pouring rain and there was no noise. I'm wondering if it is water trapped in the scuttle by the wipers that is agitated by the wind at speed, hence the noise. At lower speeds it may disappear down drain holes. I noticed the scuttle was dry before I hit the rain and perhaps the speed prevented rain gathering in that space. I will monitor.

Again .. interesting .. there is a lip on the scuttle panel which could possibly cause wind noise .. with no sound clip of the noise im just wondering if its a combination of wind and water on a seal .

in these sorts of cases you just use masking tape over any seal to see if the noise stops.

There will be no water to any degree under the scuttle panel as it will soon run out and i doubt you would hear anything inside of the car if from this area.

I'm still guessing on something to do with the sunroof drain on that side .

Perhaps if possible then try and get a sound clip of the noise .. i know many different types of noises and might be able to help .. no promises but it gives all of us something to work with .

If no Youtube account then just email me the clip ..

[email protected]

And ill post it .

Thanks again. Of interest how do the 2 drain holes in the scuttle by the wipers drain? I cannot see anything as it looks as if the middle one drains where the battery is located and the one on the edge of the driver's windscreen is under a vent. Unable to see more as it's dark now. Could they be blocked therefore causing slow drain? Would some rainex in the scuttle aid run off?

There are 2 drain bungs each side of the battery .. these can block and cause water ingress but never a noise .. i tend to say remove them so that you have a large hole that won't block with leaves and cause water ingress .

The sunroof drain and it will exit at the bottom part of the arch liner at the rear of it .. i'm wondering if there is a slight blockage that is slowing the water exiting ..

Sunroof open and an airline down the drain hole is the usual way to clear any blockage .

Attachments

• frunk_drain_104.png
    frunk_drain_104.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,015

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kjcsr911
Back