Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Stuck C4 strut bolts

UncleP

Montreal
What's the secret to getting these out?

Complete hub and strut assembly is now off the car. The nuts are off the bolts but the bolts seem to have welded themselves in solid. So far I've hit them with fire, plusgas, mallets, tried pressing them with a big clamp and a vice, have thrown every swear word known to man yet they just sit their sticking 2 little rusty fingers up at me.

Who has managed to get these things shifted?

PS. if yours came out easy please don't post as it will only make me angrier.

Sounds the same as mine when I did my suspension a few years ago, I can't actually remember how I removed them in the end (probably erased from memory to avoid PTSD) but I'm pretty sure it would have involved an angle grinder and a breaker bar at some point.
If nothing seems to be working admit defeat and take the whole strut to a garage to undo it, shouldn't cost much.

Bolt locking onto the hub or the top nut holding the spring on?

When I fitted my new shocks the top mount had siezed on and had to be sawn off!!

Ian

It's the bolt that holds the strut in the hub carrier.

I think I might try sticking the welder on the end of the bolt to put serious heat through the bolt.

I read that penetrating oil isn't much use on a steel/Ali corrosive bond. So wondered if anyone found a secret potion that works. Read everything from ammonia, caustic soda to strong tea and vinegar.

Longer breaker bar, heat, oil, cursing more heat and repeat. It will budge eventually.

link rod top arm / bolt .. there is a 17 mm nut behind the ball joint .. i cut the ball joint off to leave just the nut ..

A very powerful airgun and undo / do up .. rinse and repeat many times .

i've never tried too much heat .. and a hot air gun doesn't make any difference .. a penetrating oil is useful but to a small degree .. it won't get into were its corroded i'm afraid .

If no joy then perhaps take the whole lot to a garage and get them to sort it ..

They are a pain at best .

^
I now remember how I undid it after Demorts post, I too cut off the ball joint with an angle grinder and used a breaker bar and impact socket on the nut with loads of Plus gas. Finally got it spinning then spent ages to loosen it further and remove. I bought myself an impact gun afterwards as I don't want to be in that situation again although having said that I don't think a battery Impact gun would have undone the bolt initially just speeded up removing the spinning bolt once loosened. Good luck, luckily the other side wasn't quite as bad.

It's a C4 so the bolt is a little different from a c2. It's just a pinch bolt and not connected to the drop link in anyway. The nuts are off, whipped those off with a big DeWalt gun (1600nm allegedly, whips the 32mm hub nut off like it's finger tight).

I used the gun going forward and back and ended up rounding a bolt head but still no movement. I'll have another go and they still don't shift I'll take to a garage for a big press.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Retep
Back