Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

(another) Battery charging / CTEK question?

Porschekit

Suzuka
On a 997.1 C4S

My battery is a DYNAMIC, 12V, 110 Ah, CCA 850 (SAE)
It's been on the car for five and a half years since July 2014.

I keep it on trickle charge every winter using a CTEK 5.0 and it usually ramps up from a low light (3 or 4) to full power (7) overnight and then the "top up" light ( 8 ) comes on and off intermittently. Never had any problems.

It's been like that for a couple of weeks and with it mostly in the (7) position, but now the number 8 light is 'permanently' on (couple of days now), so I assume always drawing power trying to top up the battery.

Does this mean the battery has come to the end of its useful life, or is it a case of suck it and see when I fire her up??
Anyone got similar experience and how did your battery fare, did you have to renew?

Thanks all....
John.....:thumb:

The first green light is when it is fully charged then the second green light is a pulse mode which starts the charge cycle when the voltage drops. My Porsche & F type basically live on the Cteks for months during the winter. I find that after the first green light comes on it takes about a week or two for the second green light to come on, then it stays on for the rest of the time the Cteks are connected. Cars always start first time. My cars are never locked so the alarms are not even taking any power

Thanks chicb, I understand that the battery is full when it reaches the first green light (7) and I'd assumed that the second green light ( 8 ) only came on when it was drawing power to "top up" so to speak. I'd never known the second ( 8 ) light to stay on permanently.... any other thoughts folks ?

I'd have thought it would make sense to buy or borrow a battery load tester and test it to get a definative answer rather than ask for guesses on here? I would expect to be replacing a battery that old, but you never know! And the CTek behaviour sounds perfectly normal to me.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R6demon
Back