Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Consumer Rights Act
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Official Porsche Centre Reviews
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
992 : 2019- 0
991 : 2011- 24
997 : 2004- 60
996 : 1997-2005 30
993 : 1993-1998 2
964 : 1989-1993 0
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 2
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 3
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 1
Early 911 : 1964-1977 1
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 0
Boxster : 1997- 27
Cayman : 2005- 22
Cayenne : 2003- 7
Macan : 2014- 5
Panamera : 2009- 0
912-914-924-928-944-968 0
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 0
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [992] 2018-Current
Porsche 911 [992]
911 [991] 2011-2019
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-2012
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

Fabs911

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:13 pm    Post subject: Sparkling oil, time for IMS Replacement ? Reply with quote

Hi

Today, when changing the oil and filter on my 996 I noticed that the oil was a bit sparkling when touched the oil drainer. Although I put a magnet where the oil was draining but didn't catch anything, checked the oil filter and also nothing.
It is the first time I am changing the oil on my 996 is a reason to worry about or can I just keep drive but keep a closer look on it?
I did budget an IMS replacement when I bought the car, but would be great to wait till it needs a clutch.

Regards

Luddite
Montreal

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For peace of mind you could perhaps send a sample of your engine oil off for analysis... plenty of companies advertising on the www

Worth a try.. Question

Fabs911

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't think about it actually.
Unfortunately, I don't have the oil anymore, obviously, the new one won't have any debris in it (hopefully,) perhaps I'd better off driving a few months and change the oil again and send it.

Dammit
Indianapolis

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What’s the mileage of the car?

Luddite
Montreal

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many miles had the oil done. How long was the oil in the engine, talking year, months or what.. Question

deMort
Dijon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are no hard and fast rules when it comes to an IMS im afraid so ill just post what i have seen ..

There is often no prior warning of an IMS failure .. no noises no running issues from the owners i have spoken to that have had this happen .

To check the condition you remove the gearbox , flywheel .. lock the crank .. timing tools etc and remove the cover .. you are looking for side to side play .. in / out and spin it for noises .

A small amount of shiny material sitting on top of the oil drained out doesn't always indicate an IMS failing ... i've seen it a few times shall we say with no problems at all.

You look in the bottom of the plastic container .. if metal in the bottom then yes .. something is certainly amiss .

you cut open the oil filter and lay it out flat .. again any shiny bits of metal are a good indicator that the IMS bearing is breaking up .

The usual mileage for a failure was 40K .. it can happen later but that was the mileage i've seen most fail at .

It's not that common these days .. i've not seen one in about a year but i work at just one garage and there are many garages in this country .

If you are concerned about a possible failure then get it checked .. perhaps have a clutch done at the same time and the IMS bearing cover removed if its all ok .. peace of mind then .

Thank you all so Very much .

She's not going until july 2020 though .

Mechanic

7pm - 9pm

Indy Mechanic .

DarthFaker
Trainee

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take it from someone who has been in your exact situation, get it changed now.

Mine came out (dual row) and I recon it would have gone pretty quickly after if I hadn't done it. It's cheap insurance.

My car has zero symptoms of failure, no noises no rattles nothing. Just a few flakes of silvery metal in the oil filter which had come from the IMS bearing races and balls

Engine is now fixed and running a treat.

Fabs911

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dammit wrote:

The miles is about 85000 miles

Fabs911

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luddite wrote:
How many miles had the oil done. How long was the oil in the engine, talking year, months or what.. Question

the last service was done 1 year ago

Luddite
Montreal

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given the OP reported the oil having non magnetic particulate matter, could be alloy though wonder if the IMS is stainless and thus non magnetic..?

Just thinking in type.. Question Old

Fabs911

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deMort wrote:
There are no hard and fast rules when it comes to an IMS im afraid so ill just post what i have seen ..

There is often no prior warning of an IMS failure .. no noises no running issues from the owners i have spoken to that have had this happen .

To check the condition you remove the gearbox , flywheel .. lock the crank .. timing tools etc and remove the cover .. you are looking for side to side play .. in / out and spin it for noises .

A small amount of shiny material sitting on top of the oil drained out doesn't always indicate an IMS failing ... i've seen it a few times shall we say with no problems at all.

You look in the bottom of the plastic container .. if metal in the bottom then yes .. something is certainly amiss .

you cut open the oil filter and lay it out flat .. again any shiny bits of metal are a good indicator that the IMS bearing is breaking up .

The usual mileage for a failure was 40K .. it can happen later but that was the mileage i've seen most fail at .

It's not that common these days .. i've not seen one in about a year but i work at just one garage and there are many garages in this country .

If you are concerned about a possible failure then get it checked .. perhaps have a clutch done at the same time and the IMS bearing cover removed if its all ok .. peace of mind then .

Hi, I did open and checked the oil filter and the oil filter cap and there was any shiny stuff, only just on the oil when it drained.
Also had a magnet on the drainer to catch any debris though, but it came clean as well

Anyway, I was already thinking about replacing it for peace of mind, I just don't know how urgent would be.

Robertb
Dijon

2002 Porsche 996 Carrera 4S

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now the doubt is in your mind you’ll probably keep worrying til you know for sure...

Current: 2003 C4S Coupe, seal/black

Ex: '02 C4S Coupe, '96 993 Targa, '88 Carrera Sport Coupe

bazhart
Approved Trader

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All good advice but one question unanswered (unless I missed it?) what colour were the shinny non-metallic particles. If they were bronze, copper (not magnetic) or glittery it can also mean crankshaft bearing wear. If the mileage is over 80K I would monitor the particle release again soon (yes cut open the filter) and make sure they are just silver.

Now guys - please don't start having a go because this would be bad news - it's not my fault and the question has been asked and this is a real possibility and frankly - if they are from a crank bearing it will be cheaper to try and fix it before the crank is damaged than afterwards.

I really hope this is not the cause and that by checking the colour you can be reassured about it.

Good luck,

Baz

You can trust us to "CARE FOR YOUR PORSCHE"
www.hartech.org

jond58
Spa-Francorchamps

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest depending on the car I’d be less worried about the ims exploding than I would be about the crank bearing destroying itself!!!
I have an oil analysis done every six months. I’ve no metal in the oil at the moment. I’m looking primarily for copper and lead. That’ll be the bearing and seen as I have zero so far the minute I see some it’ll be off for a rebuild hopefully in time that the crank isn’t destroyed beyond rework.
If you’ve seen some metal I’d be planning the work now, otherwise you’ll just drive round wondering when and not enjoying ownership!
Vito 122
Honda NC30
Ducati 748

DarthFaker
Trainee

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bazhart wrote:
All good advice but one question unanswered (unless I missed it?) what colour were the shinny non-metallic particles. If they were bronze, copper (not magnetic) or glittery it can also mean crankshaft bearing wear. If the mileage is over 80K I would monitor the particle release again soon (yes cut open the filter) and make sure they are just silver.

Now guys - please don't start having a go because this would be bad news - it's not my fault and the question has been asked and this is a real possibility and frankly - if they are from a crank bearing it will be cheaper to try and fix it before the crank is damaged than afterwards.

I really hope this is not the cause and that by checking the colour you can be reassured about it.

Good luck,

Baz

This was my biggest fear when I saw metal in my oil filter, turned out to be the IMS, which thankfully has been replaced without any further debris contamination after being flushed thoroughly.

DarthFaker
Trainee

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fabs911 wrote:
Dammit wrote:

Mine started to go at 76k I believe, replaced it at 79k.

Fabs911

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bazhart wrote:

Good luck,

Baz

At the time they were gold. But they didn't settle on the oil drainer so I couldn't see properly.
Today at work, had another look at the filter and the magnet e I found that they are silver but really really tiny, like sand
Been silver and magnetic, I would say they are from IMS
I have already booked to replace the IMS bearing and I'll still keep the eye on it

Fabs911

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DarthFaker wrote:
Fabs911 wrote:
Dammit wrote:

Mine started to go at 76k I believe, replaced it at 79k.

Yeah, I think is time to replace it. If ok it would be a peace of mind now that I find that

adamw
Estoril

1998 Porsche 996 Carrera 2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fabs911 wrote:
I have already booked to replace the IMS bearing and I'll still keep the eye on it

What bearing you going for ? Original or aftermarket ?

Pop Corn

EX : 02' 996 Turbo Coupe ( May 17 - Sept 19 )
EX : 95' 993 C4 Coupe ( Dec 10 - Oct 16 )
EX : 00' 996 C2 Cab ( Jul 09 - Oct 10 )
EX : 03' 986 Boxster S ( May 06 - Dec 08 )

deMort
Dijon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bazhart wrote:
If they were bronze, copper (not magnetic) or glittery it can also mean crankshaft bearing wear.
Baz

Good call and one i didnt think of .. but then you are the expert here worship

Thank you all so Very much .

She's not going until july 2020 though .

Mechanic

7pm - 9pm

Indy Mechanic .

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: