Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Recommended remapper for custom 996 Super Charger Map?

youngsyr

Montreal
Hi all, am considering super charging my 2001 996 C2 Cab Tip, but am struggling to find an outfit that truly understands these cars and can properly custom remap a car that has beyond the normal mods.

Can anyone recommend an expert custom napper please? :thumb: [/u]

Unicorn motor developments have tuned my 800hp 996 turbo. It's far from standard! Rick's tuning abilities and knowledge is beyond anyone I've met. Give him a call 0161 637 1890

Agreed Wayne from chipwizards is your man , does a lot of work for the race teams , Hartech . he remapped mine. hes a straight talker and will make sure its set up to max without damaging the engine. :thumb:

Thanks guys, seems the knowledgeable tuners are all Manchester based?

Oh well, what's a 7 hour round trip for a decent map?! :sad:

youngsyr said:

I know, having traveled from Bournemouth but its well worth it , take a couple of days off and make a short break out of it. the North isn't all dodgy :floor: :floor:

Phil 997 said:
youngsyr said:

I know, having traveled from Bournemouth but its well worth it , take a couple of days off and make a short break out of it. the North isn't all dodgy :floor: :floor:

Who are you trying to kid?! I lived in Manchester for 3 years. :thumb: [/i]

youngsyr said:
Hi all, am considering super charging my 2001 996 C2 Cab Tip, but am struggling to find an outfit that truly understands these cars and can properly custom remap a car that has beyond the normal mods.

Please take my advice and drop the idea. We have done a 964 supercharged and that project runs perfect but I wouldn't do it again - a na engine is not low enough compression to run more than 6psi so you need to build the engine for low compression ( then if you change your mind ) you would have to rebuild it again. Add to the fact that the na engine is not designed to be boost leak free and you end up having to cnc parts to stop pressure leaks. Then you need intercooler , bigger pump and injectors and finally the tuning whilst not impossible on stock ecu is a nightmare because you need to create effectively a turbo program / na version to get the thing done.

Save your money and buy a turbo - don't get me wrong I love my 964 supercharged c2 with 420ps but if I had the choice I would not have started it for the money involved

If you want to do it properly the costs outweigh the move to an actual turbo car. These kits you see etc make it all sound simple - it is any but simple. Maybe becuase we used the car on track it highlighted a lot more things but even for road you will get frustrated with pressure leaks unless you cnc all the parts.

Ken

996ttalot said:
youngsyr said:

Please take my advice and drop the idea. We have done a 964 supercharged and that project runs perfect but I wouldn't do it again - a na engine is not low enough compression to run more than 6psi so you need to build the engine for low compression ( then if you change your mind ) you would have to rebuild it again. Add to the fact that the na engine is not designed to be boost leak free and you end up having to cnc parts to stop pressure leaks. Then you need intercooler , bigger pump and injectors and finally the tuning whilst not impossible on stock ecu is a nightmare because you need to create effectively a turbo program / na version to get the thing done.

Save your money and buy a turbo - don't get me wrong I love my 964 supercharged c2 with 420ps but if I had the choice I would not have started it for the money involved

If you want to do it properly the costs outweigh the move to an actual turbo car. These kits you see etc make it all sound simple - it is any but simple. Maybe becuase we used the car on track it highlighted a lot more things but even for road you will get frustrated with pressure leaks unless you cnc all the parts.

Ken

Thanks for taking the time to write out such a detailed response.:)

I genuinely hear what you're saying and realise this is unlikely to be a "plug and play" modification, despite several owners emailing me to say the opposite.

However, I don't want a turbo: I don't want a 4wd 911 and I don't want a turbo charged 911.

If anything, I would go for a 997.2 2S PDK, but I would prefer to tweak my 996 to make up for its perceived weakness - slight lack of power.

Have you any experience of the VF Engineering Supercharging kit? It's been around for over 15 years and addressed many of the points you raise...

youngsyr said:
996ttalot said:
youngsyr said:

Ken

Thanks for taking the time to write out such a detailed response.:)

I genuinely hear what you're saying and realise this is unlikely to be a "plug and play" modification, despite several owners emailing me to say the opposite.

However, I don't want a turbo: I don't want a 4wd 911 and I don't want a turbo charged 911.

If anything, I would go for a 997.2 2S PDK, but I would prefer to tweak my 996 to make up for its perceived weakness - slight lack of power.

Have you any experience of the VF Engineering Supercharging kit? It's been around for over 15 years and addressed many of the points you raise...

We built our own using Rotrex sc - removed the a/c etc to mount the sc and so on

Maybe 996 would be easier - we started and stopped on an aftermarket kit ( not vf) on 996 c2 because the quality was poor and nothing was fitting well and I didn't want our name associated with the kit. Maybe vf might be better. I would say whilst others have done sc before we used our turbo knowledge on the 964 to maximise the sc and it does work very well. Shoot me a message if you like and I'll take a look at the vf

Ken

youngsyr said:
Phil 997 said:
youngsyr said:

Who are you trying to kid?! I lived in Manchester for 3 years. :thumb: [/i]

Sounds like you have the ear of Ken and thats well worth exploring as he will have seen any issues you may hit and will advise on alternative options , and best of all you can stay south of Watford :floor: :floor: :floor: keep us posted on what you decide as the project :thumb: :thumb:

youngsyr said:

Have you considered a larger capacity rebuild, e.g the Hartech 3.9? This is properly developed and proven, seems to give similar power to an 'S' and would address the weaknesses of the M96 engine at the same time.

Robertb said:
youngsyr said:

Have you considered a larger capacity rebuild, e.g the Hartech 3.9? This is properly developed and proven, seems to give similar power to an 'S' and would address the weaknesses of the M96 engine at the same time.

Beat me too it

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back