Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

DIY Tandem Pump Change

Jam911

Albert Park
On my 3rd rusty tandem pump.

Had anyone DIY changed it, how hard on scale of 1 - 10?

Or how much on at Indy ( In Wellingborough )

Thanks

Why dont you just change the cover for an ACP one, it's only a few bolts to undo, the hardest part is getting the internal plate back in but really it's quite an easy job to change the cover out.

alternativecarparts.co.uk

If changing the entire pump then i would recommend an Indy.

If the bolts are rusted / corroded in place then they wont come out .. it's hammer time basically to break apart the pump housing .

It's highly likely you will need the vacuum pipe as well as these tend to corrode and cannot be removed from the old pump .

if everything comes undone then its a diy job ..in my experience they don't always go smoothly ... hence get a garage to do it .

can't comment on the cover on its own as i've never done that .

Thanks you guys.

A cover won't work I am afraid, I need the whole pump

Jam911 said:
On my 3rd rusty tandem pump.

Had anyone DIY changed it, how hard on scale of 1 - 10?

Or how much on at Indy ( In Wellingborough )

Thanks

Sorry, but did you say third pump?.. They can't go that often, surely? I'd be interested to know why seemingly so many pumps don't seem to be playing cricket!?

Yes I have had the car 9 years as a daily drive in all weathers, that is why it is my third pump.

And the fact that they are made of cheese, all be it expensive cheese.

Thanks for the link too

I had some work done a few months ago and the indy said the pump was badly corroded...and yesterday i had to top up the oil for the first time.

I am not sure it is leaking but I am now monitoring ... no oil on garage floor at present so I am keeping everything crossed...

If the tandem pump was leaking to the point it was dripping on the floor then its an urgent replacement !

You can look at the cover , use a mirror or jam your head under there ! .. if any damp spots then its starting to leak .. this is a .. get it replaced soon ish advisory .

Heavily corroded is what we say when we are covering ourselves on a service or inspection .. we can't say how long it will last so we point it out ... same with brake pipes ... no leak but it looks bad .

This won't be the cause of your oil top up .. but with 2 year service intervals then they do occasionally use a bit of oil :)

The cover is made of chocolate and suffers on our roads with winter gritting i'm afraid .

When replaced then cover the new one in waxoil , acf50 etc .. helps it last a bit longer .

I've seen plenty leak over the years .. never yet seen one dump its oil though .

Thanks I will jam my head under it tomorrow morning and see how bad it is !!

Changed the oil last April not topped up since then but I do now do an 12 month oil change as you advised.

The main difference is for the last 6 months my commute is now country lanes and not motorway.

So I guess the motor is working harder and maybe this would cause it to use a bit of oil?

Car is going to become a Garage Queen in a few months after 9 years of faithful daily...well deserved

I changed my own when it went, you need to make sure you get a good fit socket to torx bolt to get them out, clean out all the debris, one of mine chewed up so it was sharp chisel time to get it moving.
Replace them with bolts or machine screws and lather the new unit with heavy grease to stop it corroding.
Crap design by Porsche as they never gave a thought to the environment it would be exposed to.
The Pierburg pump is fitted to loads of other vehicles, my BMW X3 2.0D being one of them, different pipe positions though but the same animal, mounted up top so does not get covered in salty grime so it lasts. :judge:

Jam911 said:
Car is going to become a Garage Queen in a few months after 9 years of faithful daily...well deserved

Sounds like a well deserved semi-retirement. What's the new daily then?..

I still think you should be checking out the acp cover which replaces the flimsy tin one with a nice thick machined aluminium lid, negating the corrosion issue if there is no problem with the actual pump.

Attachments

• 20200109_221329_129.jpg
    20200109_221329_129.jpg
    319.5 KB · Views: 3,740

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Geoffrey Fickle
Back