Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Is it possible to remove the airbag cover?

adrian993

is it possible to remove the top cover on the airbag (ie seperate it from the airbag)?

Thinking about shipping for a rewrap but I don't know if it's possible to ship an airbag so thinking to remove the trim only

It is possible but I wouldnt want to do it, competent DIY at least, there are lots of little tabs that need to be bent back. Is it leather or vinyl? Just ship the complete thing, declare it as car interior trim.

I have yet to come across any place that can do a proper job recovering airbags but if you want to send yours off then just unbolt the screws at the back and remove the electrical unit then send off the full airbag and let the trimmer remove the cover.

Good point... it's not in terrible shape so I could just leave it as is

it's already a leather trimmed airbag I was thinking to retrim it as well along with the steering wheel (which has got the wooden option but some of the lacquer is cracking so thought should get it redone)

adrian993 said:
Good point... it's not in terrible shape so I could just leave it as is

it's already a leather trimmed airbag I was thinking to retrim it as well along with the steering wheel (which has got the wooden option but some of the lacquer is cracking so thought should get it redone)

:yuk:

There isn't much demand for the wood/leather wheels and they often come up on eBay in mint condition so personally I'd look to buy a replacement rather than getting it retrimmed and lacquered Or you could ditch the wheel and get plain leather or go for a carbon/leather option.

Why do you want to retrim it? If the leather airbag trim is in good condition but discoloured you could have it re-dyed.

Dream911 said:
There isn't much demand for the wood/leather wheels and they often come up on eBay in mint condition so personally I'd look to buy a replacement rather than getting it retrimmed and lacquered Or you could ditch the wheel and get plain leather or go for a carbon/leather option.

I like the wood actually it was a preferred option.

Wood stuff is actually very hard to come by I've been looking for wood shifters wood hand brake wooden dash and wood door panels and I've never ever come by any, on eBay, or on forums.

If anyone had a lead I would be very happy to take one..

adrian993 said:
Dream911 said:

I like the wood actually it was a preferred option.

Wood stuff is actually very hard to come by I've been looking for wood shifters wood hand brake wooden dash and wood door panels and I've never ever come by any, on eBay, or on forums.

If anyone had a lead I would be very happy to take one..

The door panels are hard to come by but there are 3 or 4 steering wheels on eBay at the moment. Are you after a 3 spoke or 4 spoke wheel?

Shift knobs and handbrakes are a bit harder to come by. Worth checking if they can still be bought new from Porsche.

I have a steering wheel already (but could do with a refurb), it's grey

I have also got a gear know and handbrake hence I know they are very hard to come by

they don't make the panels anymore in wood as they were an exclusive option so the only way to find someone who doesn't like them! and they are plenty of them but I think many people just throw them out sadly

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back