Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Hartech 3.9 vs GT3

nickyg63

Nurburgring
Hi,
I know the carrera 996 its never going to be a GT3 and I get that. But how accomplished would a 3.9 996 with a nice suspension setup be against a GT3?

GT3's are £50k, so spending the money to build a 3.9 makes for good man maths???

I love my 911 and if the engines gives out, i would hartech 3.9 convert it as you are having to spend so in for a penny, in for a pound!

I think Total 911 have got a write up in this months issue.

Has anyone done it, what else would you get done at the same time?

Thoughts please...

Well Ive had the 3.9 engine in mine now for 2,500 miles and thrilled to bits with it. additionally, its just had full suspension refresh and geo set up with Centre Gravity in December and whilst its transformed the handling Ive not really been able to test it as much as id like at present.

mun802 said:
Well Ive had the 3.9 engine in mine now for 2,500 miles and thrilled to bits with it. additionally, its just had full suspension refresh and geo set up with Centre Gravity in December and whilst its transformed the handling Ive not really been able to test it as much as id like at present.

Perfect, thank you!

Just what i was hoping to hear, how long until you can push it??

DO you think it was worth the extra? If you dont mind asking how much to get the 3.9??

Many thanks
Nick

Hi, it was worth it to me as I now have a car that drives and performs like it should...a keeper for sure :)

Engine was £15k but there were few ancillaries/ extras changed at same time whilst engine was out.

Suspension £5K

mun802 said:
Hi, it was worth it to me as I now have a car that drives and performs like it should...a keeper for sure :)

Engine was £15k but there were few ancillaries/ extras changed at same time whilst engine was out.

Suspension £5K

Thanks for the reply, so a £30k sorted 996 vs a bottom end £50k GT3.

Good man maths to me.

Would be good to get a video of yours or a long term test write up??

Cheers again!
Nick

nickyg63 said:

Nick

That was my logic when buying my 996.
Yes, i could've spent 35 k on a 997.2 to avoid engine issues
OR spend 10k on my 996 and let's say 15k on a engine rebuild and other issues - still some money left in the bank.

cvega said:
nickyg63 said:

Nick

That was my logic when buying my 996.
Yes, i could've spent 35 k on a 997.2 to avoid engine issues
OR spend 10k on my 996 and let's say 15k on a engine rebuild and other issues - still some money left in the bank.

These value wise are worth spending on, which is great news

If you dont mind asking how much to get the 3.9??

My car is being collected in a couple of weeks to go up to Hartech for a full rebuild including capacity increase from 3.6 to 3.9 as to my mind it's a no brainer while the engine is apart for everything anyway.

The cost for that is £13.2k inc vat plus any additional work found necessary whilst it is being done. I believe the separate cost for the capacity increase is approx. £2k inc vat of that total.

There is nothing obviously wrong with my engine currently although the left exhaust tip is slightly sootier than the right but I figured whilst I have the money available I'd rather get it all done and be able to enjoy it knowing that all the usual major failures were future proofed (fingers crossed).

peterg1955 said:
If you dont mind asking how much to get the 3.9??

My car is being collected in a couple of weeks to go up to Hartech for a full rebuild including capacity increase from 3.6 to 3.9 as to my mind it's a no brainer while the engine is apart for everything anyway.

The cost for that is £13.2k inc vat plus any additional work found necessary whilst it is being done. I believe the separate cost for the capacity increase is approx. £2k inc vat of that total.

There is nothing obviously wrong with my engine currently although the left exhaust tip is slightly sootier than the right but I figured whilst I have the money available I'd rather get it all done and be able to enjoy it knowing that all the usual major failures were future proofed (fingers crossed).

Awesome, will be great to hear what you think about the conversion

Did you have a long wait time to get it in?

Keep us posted on the progress, thanks for the reply!

Ghianightmare has a 4S with the 3.9... hopefully he will chime in with views too.

Assuming you don't mind having a 'modded' car, the capacity increase is a no brainer over the cost of a full rebuild.

The main difference that I can see over the two engines is that the GT3 is built to rev, where the 3.9 is all about torque.

I agree though... for what I'd need to spend over the value of my 4S, I can't think of a car I'd prefer to my 4S with a rebuilt and enhanced engine, plus renewed suspension...

Would still owe me less than an average 997.2.

Robertb said:
Ghianightmare has a 4S with the 3.9... hopefully he will chime in with views too.

Assuming you don't mind having a 'modded' car, the capacity increase is a no brainer over the cost of a full rebuild.

The main difference that I can see over the two engines is that the GT3 is built to rev, where the 3.9 is all about torque.

I agree though... for what I'd need to spend over the value of my 4S, I can't think of a car I'd prefer to my 4S with a rebuilt and enhanced engine, plus renewed suspension...

Would still owe me less than an average 997.2.

great points

I know the Hartech engine build is normally a repair solution or a future proofing thing and now that a 3.9 is available it does sound like a no brainier. So has anyone dyno one yet, be very interested to here what they are producing.

Standard 3.6 produces 320bhp and 275 torque with the capacity increase where are they now 350 Bhp and 300 torque?

Cunno said:
I know the Hartech engine build is normally a repair solution or a future proofing thing and now that a 3.9 is available it does sound like a no brainier. So has anyone dyno one yet, be very interested to here what they are producing.

Standard 3.6 produces 320bhp and 275 torque with the capacity increase where are they now 350 Bhp and 300 torque?

I dont think you would to air off with those figures, maybe a bit more torque after the conversion.

Would be interesting to see a GT3 head to head with a Hartech

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back