Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Paint chip removal options and advice

AtariBoy

I have a 66,000 mile, 1990 964 in guards red. It's in good condition and a car that I'll keep for the long term.

The bodywork is in excellent condition with original paint. I know I'm being picky, but the car has a couple of small stone chips on the front end.

I don't want to devalue the car by doing the wrong thing, not do I wish to bodge the problem or make it worse.

What would the best way to deal with the stone chips? The panels have all the original stickers on the inside of them and fear a front end respray would mean losing them. Can stone chips be repaired any other way?

We have a silver 993 that had similar problems, a lot of issues I believe in having ago at myself. However when it comes to paint, especially silver and red, you really need the right guys. Therefore imo you have two choices, one dab a product on the spot to prevent rush and accept it is what it is, or take it to a paint shop. (Ask on here) which is what we did, however to get a paint match it ended up with a windscreen out and front end respray just over £2000.
Cheers Roy

Thank you both, great information and just what I needed.

Hi saw your post. Depending on position on the car and size of the chip. You should be able to do a pretty good chip repair.
Clean the chip area first
Apply a good anti rust paint
Allow to dry
Then apply primer
Allow to dry
Then apply your colour in multiple stages allowing plenty of time to dry between each stage.
If you need a lacquer apply next.
Now allow to dry and harden off.
Then give a light wetsand to the area to level the paintwork again multi stage
Then finish with a light polish.
And seal with wax or sealant.
Most important part take your time with it.
Hope this helps

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back