Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Gerarbox cooler 5hat itself!!

NLW73

Albert Park
anyone else seen or heard of this?

was going to my indy anyway to have some work done, got there and took one look at back of car and thought ooops. that's a lot of oil up the back

no smoke or anything on start up or leaving or on motorway down so must have happened on en route. luckily I was there.

its a really annoying part to get too and we were worried it was going to be engine and gearbox out just to change the part!! mechanic managed to get to the two top bolts on the item as they are tight against the body work and gearbox casing. was hoping it was just two rubber seal to the feed pipes but casing has split and perished. car is 15 years old now and just won of those things.

sth may have hit it en route and caused it to happen but who knows.

Porsche wanted 450 plus vat for genuine part and D911 was 98 plus vat so went that route. not tin stocjkand it was xmas eve so waiting til 2nd jan now for when garage is back open.

best place to be I guess and not on the side of the M25!!

give those cooler a check to see if any drips or wear signs but hard to and no real warning either as no oil spots on the drive. pics of the item I am on about and where it sits on the gearbox.

mine is a TIP and did not know it was a merc box either until I started researching it all!! see the merc part number in pic.

hope you all had a good xmas and all the best for 2020.

Attachments

• cooler_part_number_192.jpg
    cooler_part_number_192.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 2,019
  • gc_174.jpg
    gc_174.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 2,019
  • gb_997_156.jpg
    gb_997_156.jpg
    425.3 KB · Views: 2,019
It's pretty rare to be honest .. it's also an absolute bitch to change in situe due to the top bolts .. i've done 2 and hated both of them .

It can be seals or the exchanger itself .

Never seen a total oil dump but even a small amount is scary .

spot on as ever De mort you legend

we changed the seals but no luck. its the exchanger and new one on order!!

those two tops bolts are a complete bitch. very little room, you cant see them either and the gearbox housing edge don't help either.

it was me holding the mirror and the mechanic wiggling the torx bolt remover around so now we know how to do it and its loose!!

as you say a little bit of hot oil is scary and when you are doing 70 mph even a small few drips making a right old mess!!!

part comes in 30th dec and hope to have back early jan once garage is back open.

car back and running sweet. changing a bit better it seems but maybe placebo.

it was the side casing of the original cooler that had gone.

pics of offending item attached

Design 911 came to the rescue with the part. OEM Porsche was silly money

Attachments

• img_7739_193.jpg
    img_7739_193.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 1,639
  • img_7738_118.jpg
    img_7738_118.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 1,639
mine did the same last year, I think it whent where to pipe joins, the case Ramus Porscha sorted it for me, mines a 2006 turbo, if that helps.

Steve Dickens

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Camarocane
Back