Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Backing Britain for a change?

weejimmy

Spa-Francorchamps
I am considering moving my 991.2 C4 GTS on for a new AM Vantage. I tried a Vantage on launch and was underwhelmed, but tried one again a few weeks ago and was blown away.

Fit, finish and quality seem to have taken a bit step forwards and the engine made the noise I felt it always should have (quad pipe sports exhaust now Vs twin at launch). Before the sound came and went, but now the lovely V8 bass underpins the entire driving experience. The steering was also sublime and the chassis had a lovely flow.

Traction is way down on the GTS under power (mine being a C4 GTS), but the handling balance was Lotus like. It really surprised me as I expected to think "Meh" again. I can only think that Matt Becker has been hard at work over the last two years!

I generally move on my cars when they are three so the GTS will be going next summer if not before, but for whatever reason I dont really want a 992.

My C4 GTS is a better car. But the Aston is super involving and no slouch. But it is a bit of a step back in time - albeit with everything you really need system wise, but without the big flat screens everyone thinks we all want now. My 991.2 beats it hands down on electronics - a 992 (I've had one on loan) would destroy it! But I don't really want a 992. After two 911's I fancy a change and I dislike how Porsche dealerships are now so focussed on SUV's (I know AM are there now as well).

It used to be that Porsche's were for car enthusiasts. I am not so sure any more.

Am I nuts? :?:

Completely barking, don't do it!

Excellent idea, do it!

Give it a go and tell us how it is

the 911 needs some real competition

You aren't going to get an unbiased opinion on here. :grin:

I say go for it. Too many cars to sample in this life and the new Vantage is stunning. 8)

I'm a diehard 911 fan but even I'm thinking of leaving the brand for a year or two next year. I'm on a lower budget though so the cars I want to own for a while are Morgan Aero 8, Ferrari 360 plus some much older stuff.

Like I say, there are so many fun cars to choose from it's crazy to not try them. :thumb:

I live down the road from the dealer in Pangbourne and had a good look around one. It's a horror story interior copied from an 80's Datsun, I mean really awful and its Mercedes's engine which is why the motor is so good.

Just buy the Merc. AMG GTR knocks this into the weeks for looks, quality and style. All IMHO of course!

The 2008 vantage was a beautiful car, and I thought about it for about 10 minutes. But the new vantage looks odd, the front end is a mess. I'd also search for reliability and build quality issues, as Astons used to have a bit of a reputation. I was talking to a Salesman at OPC Wilmslow who once worked at Stratstone, and he said they dreaded every Aston they sold, because within 20 mins of it leaving the showroom, they'd expect a call.

There's no way I'd chop my C4 GTS in for one.

I've taken the Vantage mag since issue 1 and it's surprising how often the 911 - and in the latest edition - the Cayenne are held up as the cars to beat in Aston"s model range as they strive to compete at the top table.

That said, I'd have one in a flash! Just great looking, in my opinion.

HSC911 said:
Looks good, worth a try :thumb:

First the red leather now this :grin: I'm trying to think of words to describe the Ar se end, minging springs to mind :dont know: :grin:
The whole things sort of high?

:floor:

I always try anything once...ask my ex-girlfriends
bdsm.gif

:grin:

Audi r8 anyone......my brother in law buys a new aston every three yrs, and gets his arse slapped everytime he chops the old one in, think he lost about 70k last time if my memory serves me right,lovely cars tho

Go for it and get a manual one.

I don't really care about in-car technology, so it wouldn't bother me at all. It's a sports car, not an entertainment system.

Earlier in the year I had an invitation from Aston Martin to drive the new Vantage. It was a very quick, very comfortable GT car, in a straight line. In the corners it lacked the poise and capability of a 911, although I'm sure it would be an excellent cruiser for a European road trip.

If you have an itch, scratch it and have a plan B to get you back in a Porsche if the novelty wears off.....good luck with your choice ... :thumb:

I'd love an Aston, but the running costs and reliability seemed like issues to be avoided. And I doubt very much it would work as well as a C4S in a Finnish winter - even if it might be a hoot on a frozen lake for 10 minutes.

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Camarocane
Back