Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Advice on 911 purchase

camspain

Hi,
Just joined the forum. I've had a Boxster for the last 17yrs but the time has come to go for a 911.
Looking for a bit of advice/opinion.
I have decided on a 991.2, my question is: What are the general thoughts on a relatively high mileage(30k to 40k) but fairly new 2 to 3yrs old car against a low mileage(5k to 15k) older 3 to 4yrs old car?
Opinions greatly appreciated.

Thanks

camspain said:
Hi,
Just joined the forum. I've had a Boxster for the last 17yrs but the time has come to go for a 911.
Looking for a bit of advice/opinion.
I have decided on a 991.2, my question is: What are the general thoughts on a relatively high mileage(30k to 40k) but fairly new 2 to 3yrs old car against a low mileage(5k to 15k) older 3 to 4yrs old car?
Opinions greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Which model are you interested in?

If it's under three years old then you'll get the balance of the manufacturers warranty. But if you buy from an OPC you'll get at least two years warranty no matter the age. If it's over 2 years old, or it's done over 20k Miles, it will have had its first service.

A really high mileage 2-3 year old car will presumably have been a daily driver. I'm not sure that's necessarily a bad thing, and the car may not have been too taxed. But who knows.

Have you also considered a lower mileage 991.1. The NA engine may help these long term against the 991.2 in terms of residuals. I think the 991.2 is a slightly better looking car, but that's subjective.

Whichever you go for, I'm sure you'll love it.

camspain said:
my question is:

What are the general thoughts on a relatively high mileage(30k to 40k) but fairly new 2 to 3yrs old car against a low mileage(5k to 15k) older 3 to 4yrs old car?

If you're planning to put miles on it you'd probably be better off buying one with low miles to start with.

If you're planning to keep it a while and are likely to bring the average annual down over that time I'd go for the newer car.

Either way, good luck and :welcome: to 911uk

Welcome. Of course the first consideration when buying a car should always be depreciation, secondly depreciation, and thirdly depreciation :thumb:

Most Porsche buyers tend to ignore this ('I'm never selling!") everyone always does of course, so it should be your biggest consideration. You're in a buyers market, at the best time of year, use the cash wisely, leave the 19 cars out of twenty where the ar se dealer won't reduce the price, and buy the twentieth :thumb:

The 991 is a great car, personally I'd go low miles on a .2, the market is awash with high milers and trade ins up to 992, this will affect prices hugely. And drive before buying if sound is important to you, save for the GT cars, a 991.1 is the best sounding 911.

Thanks for your replies.
I'm thinking a lower to average miles newer example, I suppose it comes down to price & definitely from a main dealership for the warranty.
I've missed out on a couple recently.
Will keep looking.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drthein
Back