Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Double DIN upgrade? Any advice? Apple play?

C11BRA

Suzuka
I'm looking to upgrade the factory screen to a more current double Din

My old PCM screen didn't have Nav but did have the factory multifunction wheel.

A few questions.

I'm guessing I will lose the multi function volume & tune use. (Not a super big deal as I'm looking to swap my wheel to the basic wheel found on GT3's)

I'm guessing that I'll lose the radio data in the instrument cluster but will the range & mpg still work via the stalk?

Can anyone suggest a good double Din with Apple Play or at least Nav?

I've seen a few surrounds that match the grey 997.1 interior. Are there any to avoid? Or should I just get one off EBay? They seem to come with wiring adapters. Will this just plug & play with my Bose system?

Thanks in advance.

Current set up.

Mate, most of the ebay surrounds will be ok ,they are all quite a good colour match , If you wanted to spend lots of money then Porsche do one for cars that were supplied to Japan as these didnt get PCM but they are Between £350 and £400 :eek: whereas the ebay ones are under £100 .

Yes everything with work on your central screen except the radio/ nav directions . when you first do it you will be left with a blank screen but a a scroll through the functions will give you the other displays.

If you have BOSE you will need a MOST optical interface to get everything to communicate with the new DD head unit.

I fitted an Alpine head unit to my old gen1 but there are lots of options available . not a great photo but you get the idea.

you may see some fascias that say they dont work with cars fitted with cupholders , thats not true you just need to tweak things a little its very easy to overcome. :thumb: :thumb:

Attachments

• img_0354_164.jpg
    img_0354_164.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 6,414
Thanks Phil

I quite like the idea of a rotary volume knob like your Alpine.

I've seen a Sony with a knob. And Apple Play.

C11BRA said:
I'm looking to upgrade the factory screen to a more current double Din

My old PCM screen didn't have Nav but did have the factory multifunction wheel.

A few questions.

I'm guessing I will lose the multi function volume & tune use. (Not a super big deal as I'm looking to swap my wheel to the basic wheel found on GT3's)

I'm guessing that I'll lose the radio data in the instrument cluster but will the range & mpg still work via the stalk?

Can anyone suggest a good double Din with Apple Play or at least Nav?

I've seen a few surrounds that match the grey 997.1 interior. Are there any to avoid? Or should I just get one off EBay? They seem to come with wiring adapters. Will this just plug & play with my Bose system?

Thanks in advance.

Current set up.

Go with Pioneer, they seem to be offering the best single and double din Apple car play radio. Just installed mine and its excellent.

Have a look at AVH-Z9200DAB and a few other similar

I've got this in my van:

pioneer avic f980dab

Pretty good imho :thumb:

That's mine.
Bose working fine & I like that it just needs a press on the button to mute.
Also, my reason for wanting a knob on it is that I don't have to take my eyes off the road to change the volume, something all these manufacturers seem to be forgetting when adding touch screens in everything.

That unit also has built in Nav, Apple car play & android interface.

Attachments

• console1_991.jpg
    console1_991.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 6,205
I feel the same way clanky.

C11BRA said:
I feel the same way clanky.

When you fit it if you need a Porsche splash screen like in clanky pic let me know I have a couple I can email over to you :thumb:

Hi Phil

Thanks about the splash screens? Are these editable do you know?

C11BRA said:
Hi Phil

I dont think so mate but I am not at at all techy so they may be lol

Phil 997 said:
C11BRA said:
Hi Phil

I dont think so mate but I am not at at all techy so they may be lol

I think you just upload a jpeg don't you so on that basis I would think you can have what you like.

Clanky said:
That's mine.
Bose working fine & I like that it just needs a press on the button to mute.
Also, my reason for wanting a knob on it is that I don't have to take my eyes off the road to change the volume, something all these manufacturers seem to be forgetting when adding touch screens in everything.

That unit also has built in Nav, Apple car play & android interface.
That is a lovely clean look.

Personally not a fan of the double din with a surround...looks a like to much like an after market bodge.

Ive fitted these twice before (into my TT & latterly 987) and have just brought one for my 997.

http://www.iceboxauto.com/porsche-911-997-boxter-cayman-2005-2008-android-51-hl-8816gb

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Quad-Cor...127975?hash=item1ccbbb3527:g:NjkAAOSw4yJdB0yv

ill be fitting it hopefully next week so i'll upload some pics.

Its full Android so you can put all sorts of media and GPS nav apps on for free.

Attachments

• hhl8815gb_1_201.jpg
    hhl8815gb_1_201.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 5,865
villaman said:
Personally not a fan of the double din with a surround...looks a like to much like an after market bodge.

Ive fitted these twice before (into my TT & latterly 987) and have just brought one for my 997.

http://www.iceboxauto.com/porsche-911-997-boxter-cayman-2005-2008-android-51-hl-8816gb

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Quad-Cor...127975?hash=item1ccbbb3527:g:NjkAAOSw4yJdB0yv

ill be fitting it hopefully next week so i'll upload some pics.

Its full Android so you can put all sorts of media and GPS nav apps on for free.
Looking at the spec, it is quite difficult to tell if it will work with Bose or the steering wheel controls.
It does however look to be a bargain.
I look forwards to your write up.

I've just installed an Alpine ilx 700 in my 997.1 looks fine with the surround.

Mine was non-Bose so a little easier to install, however the lack of a volume knob is a PITA. When I got the Apline a couple of years ago I was led to believe these were one of the best for Apple Car Play - having worked with Apple in the specs. I'm sure things have moved on.

If you swap your wheel, I'd be interested in your current one.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Autocraft1
Back