Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Best Black Friday tyre deal?

NedHan79

Suzuka
I'm looking for the best deal on 2 front tyres today. I don't need them any time soon but always good to get a deal. I can get them ordered and have them sitting. I bought federal 595's for the rear so ideally those for the front as well but I'm not worried about mixing them.
I need 235/40/18 and want something sticky for the front rather than the best all round tyre. It's only a week end toy so mileages won't be much.
I know everyone goes on about Michelin's but unless the deals awesome I'll not be on them, on a bit of a budget but as I've said, if the deals right.

Is black circles the best about? I found another during the week, openo or something like that. I'll need to look again

Costco? Michelin PS2 N4 £120.99 or PS4 £115.18 + £8.40 fitting. Not a bad price.

On looking at black circles this morning theres15% off Michelin. Go through cash back site and get another 2.2% so the PS4 comes in at £111 plus the discounts so about £92 and some change plus postage. I'll get them fitted some time as the cars off the road atm.

Silly question but is there only one PS4 or do I need to pick and choose?

NedHan79 said:
On looking at black circles this morning theres15% off Michelin. Go through cash back site and get another 2.2% so the PS4 comes in at £111 plus the discounts so about £92 and some change plus postage. I'll get them fitted some time as the cars off the road atm.

Silly question but is there only one PS4 or do I need to pick and choose?

Just make sure you pick the N rated, so NO on the 991.1.

Thanks gonesailing. Not too worried about the n rating. I just want the stickiest tyres at the money. Are the PS4's the ones to go for?

NedHan79 said:
Thanks gonesailing. Not too worried about the n rating. I just want the stickiest tyres at the money. Are the PS4's the ones to go for?

I'm going PS4S on mine, but not sure it's the stickiest tyre if you don't mind about the N Rating. I'm under extended warranty, so need to be careful, but i think it depends on how you plan to use the car, where you live etc.

Hmmm I might get two fronts for mine in the hope they eventually do the rears!

I bought the rears on a deal this week on eBay that the bargain hunter in me couldn't pass up but I'm not worried if they're not the stickiest as I like the challenge :D
But I do want as much front end bite as possible. I'm not into the 'best of the best" but if PS4s are the way to go then I'll have them. Black circles don't seem to offer much on the stickier track day stuff but then again, I don't really know what's what on the tyre scene

Good deal on Blackcircles I just ordered 2 rear Pilot 4s for the turbo just under £400 :thumb:

Sorry if this has been asked before but what's the story about N rating?

Is it better to have a more modern tyre like the PS4 with a Y rating rather than an older design with a N one?

The front tyres on my weekend C2 look a bit perished at the edges I'm guessing due to age rather than miles so thinking of changing but it gets so confusing as what to buy....this is what's on it at present Front 225/40ZR18 88Y N3 Rear 285/30ZR18 N3 Michelin Sport

Thanks for any advice

There's been a lot of good stuff said on here recently regarding the Falken FK510. Much cheaper tyre but still good enough to be considered in an Evo magazine performance tyre test I believe. 17" fronts for mine were priced about £56 each on opnoneo.com.

Had a look there Martin, with the discounts there's very little in it

Moko said:
Sorry if this has been asked before but what's the story about N rating?

Is it better to have a more modern tyre like the PS4 with a Y rating rather than an older design with a N one?

The front tyres on my weekend C2 look a bit perished at the edges I'm guessing due to age rather than miles so thinking of changing but it gets so confusing as what to buy....this is what's on it at present Front 225/40ZR18 88Y N3 Rear 285/30ZR18 N3 Michelin Sport

Thanks for any advice

Don't confuse a speed rating with the manufacturer approval rating. Y is the speed rating, and something that most summer tyres i have seen have.

The N rating means it's Porsche approved, and different manufacturers have a different letter as their designation. I'm not sure what the difference between two identical size tyres would be, but one is N Rated, but if you have a Porsche warranty then the N rated tyre is essential.

While we're on the subject of what not to confuse, don't mix up the PS4 tyre with the PS4S.
The PS4 is a good but very general daily tyre. The PS4S is the performance one and as far as I know they aren't available in 996 sizes.
So either go Cup2s (non N rated) or PS2's (N rated).

Or another brand entirely. :thumb:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
b8n8tai
Back