Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Which 911 for 'sporty-gt' duties: Part 2: further questions!

wadsy

Silverstone
Further to my previous thread...

Which 911 for 'sporty-gt' duties?

I was wondering if previous generations of the 911 could be made as 'gt-able' as the 991 for less money, or would any modifications needed negate the purchase cost saving and therefor make the 991 the better buy in the first place?

I'm thinking mainly from the point of view of ride quality and cabin noise/refinement, so would be looking at suspension and sound insulation modifications.

With that in mind, could for example a 997 (tiptronic) Turbo with a PASM 'tuning box' and improved sound insulation be as good a 'sporty-gt' as the 991 (C4S) but less expensive?

And then, similarly a 996 (tip) Turbo for even less?

Please discuss :thumb:

Many thanks.

Hello again :thumb:

From all you've said previously I'd forget the 996 Turbo, the 997.1 Turbo is a much better starting point and not that much more expensive considering how much newer the car would be.

The DSCv1 PASM 'tuning box' makes the car far more compliant in both Normal and Sports modes and does improve the ride quality considerably.

The much maligned tiptronic box is far nicer in a Turbo compared to a Carrera as the torquey characteristics of the engine match it well. The PDK box in the Gen2 car is undoubtedly better but they do cost considerably more.

Now that the 991.1 C4S has come down to well below £60k it would be my recommendation to you - although I can't personally reconcile myself to spending the £££'s it would cost me to switch from my own 997.1 Turbo.

NB: If you can manage with 'only' 350 bhp the 3.4 991s look fantastic value now.

Happy Hunting

I would imagine the base model 991 Carrera or C4 running on the smaller wheels would be the best and most quiet ride. Any S or Turbo models will run on firmer sports suspension and bigger wheels = more racket.

T8 said:
Hello again :thumb:

From all you've said previously I'd forget the 996 Turbo, the 997.1 Turbo is a much better starting point and not that much more expensive considering how much newer the car would be.

The DSCv1 PASM 'tuning box' makes the car far more compliant in both Normal and Sports modes and does improve the ride quality considerably.

The much maligned tiptronic box is far nicer in a Turbo compared to a Carrera as the torquey characteristics of the engine match it well. The PDK box in the Gen2 car is undoubtedly better but they do cost considerably more.

Now that the 991.1 C4S has come down to well below £60k it would be my recommendation to you - although I can't personally reconcile myself to spending the £££'s it would cost me to switch from my own 997.1 Turbo.

NB: If you can manage with 'only' 350 bhp the 3.4 991s look fantastic value now.

Happy Hunting

Thanks for your reply :thumb:

Could I ask why you'd discount the 996 Turbo?

I liked the idea of the C4S for the obvious reasons; more power and the 4wd for all-year-round usability, but, as you suggest, the 3.4 C2 may be tempting due to the saving!

Hmmm :lol:

Cheers

wadsy said:

Your focus seems to be on GT style refinement of ride and whilst the 996 Turbo is a very comfortable sports car it's far less of a GT than a 997 Turbo or a 991 Carrera.

NB: I had a 996T for a couple of years before my 997 Turbo and that refinement was the most noticeable upgrade. I've had a number of test drives in 991 Carreras and they're more refined still, even allowing for the noisier exhaust note.

T8 said:
wadsy said:

Your focus seems to be on GT style refinement of ride and whilst the 996 Turbo is a very comfortable sports car it's far less of a GT than a 997 Turbo or a 991 Carrera.

NB: I had a 996T for a couple of years before my 997 Turbo and that refinement was the most noticeable upgrade. I've had a number of test drives in 991 Carreras and they're more refined still, even allowing for the noisier exhaust note.

:thumb:

I'd look for a 991.1 C2S PDK with standard or fat boy (aka comfort) seats for GT duties. Or even a 991.2 C2 if it's in the budget as the 3.0 is pretty quiet (at least compared to my car). And don't modify it, don't make it any louder.

I don't know which tyres are the quietest (it's not a concern for me, but tyre noise is an issue on the motorway), but find out and fit those.

MaxA said:
I'd look for a 991.1 C2S PDK with standard or fat boy (aka comfort) seats for GT duties. Or even a 991.2 C2 if it's in the budget as the 3.0 is pretty quiet (at least compared to my car). And don't modify it, don't make it any louder.

I don't know which tyres are the quietest (it's not a concern for me, but tyre noise is an issue on the motorway), but find out and fit those.

:thumb:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bristolsparks
Back