Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Electric car, I think it''s (not) time

Yes it's hideous I know, but the time I think has come. As the mods increase on the antidote to the Eco mentalists, I'm thinking of joining them and trading in Karl.
It has to be German, which narrows it to the e-golf I'm thinking. With the eco mentalist grant and current Vdub dealer grant combined with 4.6% Apr, a second hand one makes no sense and there coming out about 23.5 k brand new. I'm thinking 3 years mega cheap motoring.
With last nights UN report and the possibility of a communist government nows the time, big diesels are soon to be in even more serious trouble.
So the e golf, supposedly has a good range (plenty for me as a second car) it's cheap to buy, drives decent by all reports, and I'm fed up,of piling diesel into Karl to do my crazy school daily.

Does anybody have one?

Are you mad? We need CO2 and more of it to survive!!!

Even if you believe in the climate myth, the numbers don't stack up:

The UK contributes 1% of man made CO2
Transport of that is 20% - that includes all UK transport
Electric cars over their lifetime (not petrol/diesel cars) is only 20% less C02 (but they probably only last half as long) and I presume that'ss powering them with renewable electric on not fuel generated electric.

So add that all up and if EVERYONE in the UK had electric cars powered by renewables you create something like 0.0001% less man made CO2.......of which then gives the Government a blank cheque to tax you with, all driven by the anti-capitalists - you couldn't make it up.

Trump signed out the Paris agreement cos he was told if he spent a 100 trillion dollars on reducing mm CO2 the temp. would drop half a degree over 80 years.

100 trillion could end world poverty :nooo:

And to answer your question - I once had a BMW electric car. Radio controlled too but the batteries kept running out. :grin:

Alex said:
And to answer your question - I once had a BMW electric car. Radio controlled too but the batteries kept running out. :grin:

:floor:

Alex said:
Are you mad? We need CO2 and more of it to survive!!!

Even if you believe in the climate myth, the numbers don't stack up:

The UK contributes 1% of man made CO2
Transport of that is 20% - that includes all UK transport
Electric cars over their lifetime (not petrol/diesel cars) is only 20% less C02 (but they probably only last half as long) and I presume that'ss powering them with renewable electric on not fuel generated electric.

So add that all up and if EVERYONE in the UK had electric cars powered by renewables you create something like 0.0001% less man made CO2.......of which then gives the Government a blank cheque to tax you with, all driven by the anti-capitalists - you couldn't make it up.

Trump signed out the Paris agreement cos he was told if he spent a 100 trillion dollars on reducing mm CO2 the temp. would drop half a degree over 80 years.

100 trillion could end world poverty :nooo:

Hehe I agree entirely! I've no interest in the above and I contribute adequately to the cause with Herman :grin:
My logic is based entirely around selfish ME! The problem is the Eco mentalists will win the day. Karl was valued at £18400 on the 3rd November, today? 3 weeks later £17300!. As Zingers would say there something afoot, that's unnatural depreciation, and further evidence of the diesel anti christ movement. I'm

Forgetting the mentalists, there's just about enough money in Karl for the deposit, the e golf has a 25 % discount and is available on an interest free deal. Karl is out of warranty and could cost me big, the golf will cost virtually nothing.

There's enough people with the thoughts above to keep the electric points available and free for a while yet (me again :grin: ) also I can run it for basically nothing as Mrs SBSP pays the electricity!

I may even bring it for you to admire at the December meet :?:

Edit. I'd the real point is to get in on electric BEFORE everyone else does!

The depreciation you've seen on yours is seasonal. Biggest dip is always this time of year......

..........and trust me when I say the depreciation on an electric will be far worse.

Alex said:
The depreciation you've seen on yours is seasonal. Biggest dip is always this time of year......

..........and trust me when I say the depreciation on an electric will be far worse.

Hmm not so sure, the Porsche is the same as 3 weeks ago. You should become a car salesmen! Conversation below.

it's worth £16500! Ok well how come WBAC just valued it as 17300! They will find loads of problems to devalue it! There are none it's in showroom condition? Oh well it's err seasonal :grin:

The market will increasingly be flooded by used fleet electric cars.....ie all business users are jumping on the bandwagon given the BIK advantages, its mainly hybrid at the moment but will be full electric next year when BIK goes down to 0% :eek: ........that means I can run a Taycan for free :thumb:

ps half the mileage range claims on full electric, if its <10 degrees or raining range is shoite :grin:

jonttt said:
The market will increasingly be flooded by used fleet electric cars.....ie all business users are jumping on the bandwagon given the BIK advantages, its mainly hybrid at the moment but will be full electric next year when BIK goes down to 0% :eek: ........that means I can run a Taycan for free :thumb:

ps half the mileage range claims on full electric, if its <10 degrees or raining range is shoite :grin:

Hmm scaremongery, I can't see any business user going electric, he's gonna run out of it for sure. This is why I need someone who's got one, I'm
Banking on half the range, that means I can do the school run (80 miles) any less it doesn't work for me. Let's face it, it's gonna rain 80% of the time.

Anyone dealt with Sellcar.co.uk? Getting offers which seem too good to be true!?

jonttt said:

Hmm scaremongery, I can't see any business user going electric, he's gonna run out of it for sure. This is why I need someone who's got one, I'm
Banking on half the range, that means I can do the school run (80 miles) any less it doesn't work for me. Let's face it, it's gonna rain 80% of the time.

Anyone dealt with Sellcar.co.uk? Getting offers which seem too good to be true!?

Will VW not lend you one for a day or two to see how it works for you?

Re online selling my brother used Tootle, seemed impressed with that.

My view is that we are at least 5 years away from EV's being of much use.They are expensive, battery technology still has a lot of work needed and the number of charging points is pretty woeful.If it were me I'd hold on but if you are turned on by the tech and fancy dipping your toe in, then go for it.👍👍

I recently hosted a EV event at one of my sights, all the main dealers turned up with the highlights being the iPace and e Golf :thumb: .......they would not me drive on as I have too many points on my licence :roll:

I am seriously considering an Taycan next year ....0% BIK is ......cheap :grin: ...my business miles are 1/3rd they used to be at around 15k miles pa and so most runs I could do in an EV......if I need miles I'll have to us another car is my thinking .......money in my pocket and not the tax mans :)

Shurv said:
My view is that we are at least 5 years away from EV's being of much use.They are expensive, battery technology still has a lot of work needed and the number of charging points is pretty woeful.If it were me I'd hold on but if you are turned on by the tech and fancy dipping your toe in, then go for it.👍👍

Right I'm cured. The golf I fear just won't have the real world range, and anything that does is of course massive with massive battery and price to suit. Can't see the point in a hybrid, I think I'll look at downsizing still, an A class diesel suits the bill :grin:

Why would anyone buy a EV at the moment unless there's a tax benefit and your main journey use is round town/local :dont know: Infrastructure and technology of battery is not quite there.

I'd try (a cheap) one for a punt to see if it works in principle using Mrs Z as the 'tester' since her journeys are less than 10 miles a day. There are three BIG issues against this:

1) Mrs Z refuses to drive an automatic. The 'tunes' a manual gearbox can play seem to be reassuring to her.
2) She will constantly complain of the PITA 'inconvenience' having to plug it in on the drive, and unplug it when the box gets ripped from the wall as a reminder.
3) She won't get that satisfying burnt ember smell of the clutch when she holds it on the up ramps at Tesco multi-storey. :roll:

As of yet a cheap Nissan Leaf won't be on the drive for some time. :nooo:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R6demon
Back