Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Consumer Rights Act
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Official Porsche Centre Reviews
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
992 : 2019- 0
991 : 2011- 24
997 : 2004- 67
996 : 1997-2005 34
993 : 1993-1998 4
964 : 1989-1993 2
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 2
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 2
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 1
Early 911 : 1964-1977 1
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 0
Boxster : 1997- 30
Cayman : 2005- 21
Cayenne : 2003- 6
Macan : 2014- 6
Panamera : 2009- 0
912-914-924-928-944-968 1
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 0
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [992] 2018-Current
Porsche 911 [992]
911 [991] 2011-2019
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-2012
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

spongebob squarepants
Long Beach

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:22 am    Post subject: Electric car, I think it’s (not) time Reply with quote

Yes it’s hideous I know, but the time I think has come. As the mods increase on the antidote to the Eco mentalists, I’m thinking of joining them and trading in Karl.
It has to be German, which narrows it to the e-golf I’m thinking. With the eco mentalist grant and current Vdub dealer grant combined with 4.6% Apr, a second hand one makes no sense and there coming out about 23.5 k brand new. I’m thinking 3 years mega cheap motoring.
With last nights UN report and the possibility of a communist government nows the time, big diesels are soon to be in even more serious trouble.
So the e golf, supposedly has a good range (plenty for me as a second car) it’s cheap to buy, drives decent by all reports, and I’m fed up,of piling diesel into Karl to do my crazy school daily.

Does anybody have one?

Apparently other colours are available?

Last edited by spongebob squarepants on Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

Alex
Le Mans
Le Mans

2000 Porsche 996 Carrera 4

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you mad? We need CO2 and more of it to survive!!!

Even if you believe in the climate myth, the numbers don't stack up:

The UK contributes 1% of man made CO2
Transport of that is 20% - that includes all UK transport
Electric cars over their lifetime (not petrol/diesel cars) is only 20% less C02 (but they probably only last half as long) and I presume that'ss powering them with renewable electric on not fuel generated electric.

So add that all up and if EVERYONE in the UK had electric cars powered by renewables you create something like 0.0001% less man made CO2.......of which then gives the Government a blank cheque to tax you with, all driven by the anti-capitalists - you couldn't make it up.

Trump signed out the Paris agreement cos he was told if he spent a 100 trillion dollars on reducing mm CO2 the temp. would drop half a degree over 80 years.

100 trillion could end world poverty nooo

Alex
Le Mans
Le Mans

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And to answer your question - I once had a BMW electric car. Radio controlled too but the batteries kept running out. Grin

HSC911
Long Beach

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex wrote:
And to answer your question - I once had a BMW electric car. Radio controlled too but the batteries kept running out. Grin

Floor

spongebob squarepants
Long Beach

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex wrote:
Are you mad? We need CO2 and more of it to survive!!!

Even if you believe in the climate myth, the numbers don't stack up:

The UK contributes 1% of man made CO2
Transport of that is 20% - that includes all UK transport
Electric cars over their lifetime (not petrol/diesel cars) is only 20% less C02 (but they probably only last half as long) and I presume that'ss powering them with renewable electric on not fuel generated electric.

So add that all up and if EVERYONE in the UK had electric cars powered by renewables you create something like 0.0001% less man made CO2.......of which then gives the Government a blank cheque to tax you with, all driven by the anti-capitalists - you couldn't make it up.

Trump signed out the Paris agreement cos he was told if he spent a 100 trillion dollars on reducing mm CO2 the temp. would drop half a degree over 80 years.

100 trillion could end world poverty nooo

Hehe I agree entirely! I’ve no interest in the above and I contribute adequately to the cause with Herman Grin
My logic is based entirely around selfish ME! The problem is the Eco mentalists will win the day. Karl was valued at £18400 on the 3rd November, today? 3 weeks later £17300!. As Zingers would say there something afoot, that’s unnatural depreciation, and further evidence of the diesel anti christ movement. I’m

Forgetting the mentalists, there’s just about enough money in Karl for the deposit, the e golf has a 25 % discount and is available on an interest free deal. Karl is out of warranty and could cost me big, the golf will cost virtually nothing.

There’s enough people with the thoughts above to keep the electric points available and free for a while yet (me again Grin ) also I can run it for basically nothing as Mrs SBSP pays the electricity!

I may even bring it for you to admire at the December meet Question

Edit. I’d the real point is to get in on electric BEFORE everyone else does!

Alex
Le Mans
Le Mans

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The depreciation you've seen on yours is seasonal. Biggest dip is always this time of year......

..........and trust me when I say the depreciation on an electric will be far worse.

spongebob squarepants
Long Beach

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex wrote:
The depreciation you've seen on yours is seasonal. Biggest dip is always this time of year......

..........and trust me when I say the depreciation on an electric will be far worse.

Hmm not so sure, the Porsche is the same as 3 weeks ago. You should become a car salesmen! Conversation below.

it’s worth £16500! Ok well how come WBAC just valued it as 17300! They will find loads of problems to devalue it! There are none it’s in showroom condition? Oh well it’s err seasonal Grin

jonttt
Long Beach

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The market will increasingly be flooded by used fleet electric cars.....ie all business users are jumping on the bandwagon given the BIK advantages, its mainly hybrid at the moment but will be full electric next year when BIK goes down to 0% Surprised ........that means I can run a Taycan for free Thumb

ps half the mileage range claims on full electric, if its <10 degrees or raining range is shoite Grin
2017 BMW 740 Msport
2017 RR Evoque Autobiography

spongebob squarepants
Long Beach

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonttt wrote:
The market will increasingly be flooded by used fleet electric cars.....ie all business users are jumping on the bandwagon given the BIK advantages, its mainly hybrid at the moment but will be full electric next year when BIK goes down to 0% Surprised ........that means I can run a Taycan for free Thumb

ps half the mileage range claims on full electric, if its <10 degrees or raining range is shoite Grin

Hmm scaremongery, I can’t see any business user going electric, he’s gonna run out of it for sure. This is why I need someone who’s got one, I’m
Banking on half the range, that means I can do the school run (80 miles) any less it doesn’t work for me. Let’s face it, it’s gonna rain 80% of the time.

Anyone dealt with Sellcar.co.uk? Getting offers which seem too good to be true!?

spongebob squarepants
Long Beach

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonttt wrote:

Hmm scaremongery, I can’t see any business user going electric, he’s gonna run out of it for sure. This is why I need someone who’s got one, I’m
Banking on half the range, that means I can do the school run (80 miles) any less it doesn’t work for me. Let’s face it, it’s gonna rain 80% of the time.

Anyone dealt with Sellcar.co.uk? Getting offers which seem too good to be true!?

Robertb
Dijon

2002 Porsche 996 Carrera 4S

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will VW not lend you one for a day or two to see how it works for you?

Re online selling my brother used Tootle, seemed impressed with that.

Current: 2003 C4S Coupe, seal/black

Ex: '02 C4S Coupe, '96 993 Targa, '88 Carrera Sport Coupe

Shurv
Kyalami

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My view is that we are at least 5 years away from EV's being of much use.They are expensive, battery technology still has a lot of work needed and the number of charging points is pretty woeful.If it were me I'd hold on but if you are turned on by the tech and fancy dipping your toe in, then go for it.👍👍

jonttt
Long Beach

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently hosted a EV event at one of my sights, all the main dealers turned up with the highlights being the iPace and e Golf Thumb .......they would not me drive on as I have too many points on my licence Rolling Eyes

I am seriously considering an Taycan next year ....0% BIK is ......cheap Grin ...my business miles are 1/3rd they used to be at around 15k miles pa and so most runs I could do in an EV......if I need miles I'll have to us another car is my thinking .......money in my pocket and not the tax mans Smile
2017 BMW 740 Msport
2017 RR Evoque Autobiography

spongebob squarepants
Long Beach

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shurv wrote:
My view is that we are at least 5 years away from EV's being of much use.They are expensive, battery technology still has a lot of work needed and the number of charging points is pretty woeful.If it were me I'd hold on but if you are turned on by the tech and fancy dipping your toe in, then go for it.👍👍

Right I’m cured. The golf I fear just won’t have the real world range, and anything that does is of course massive with massive battery and price to suit. Can’t see the point in a hybrid, I think I’ll look at downsizing still, an A class diesel suits the bill Grin

Zingari
Brands Hatch
Brands Hatch

1993 Porsche 964 Anniversary

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would anyone buy a EV at the moment unless there's a tax benefit and your main journey use is round town/local Dont know Infrastructure and technology of battery is not quite there.

I'd try (a cheap) one for a punt to see if it works in principle using Mrs Z as the 'tester' since her journeys are less than 10 miles a day. There are three BIG issues against this:

1) Mrs Z refuses to drive an automatic. The 'tunes' a manual gearbox can play seem to be reassuring to her.
2) She will constantly complain of the PITA 'inconvenience' having to plug it in on the drive, and unplug it when the box gets ripped from the wall as a reminder.
3) She won't get that satisfying burnt ember smell of the clutch when she holds it on the up ramps at Tesco multi-storey. Rolling Eyes

As of yet a cheap Nissan Leaf won't be on the drive for some time. nooo

spongebob squarepants
Long Beach

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zingari wrote:
Why would anyone buy a EV at the moment unless there's a tax benefit and your main journey use is round town/local Dont know Infrastructure and technology of battery is not quite there.

I'd try (a cheap) one for a punt to see if it works in principle using Mrs Z as the 'tester' since her journeys are less than 10 miles a day. There are three BIG issues against this:

1) Mrs Z refuses to drive an automatic. The 'tunes' a manual gearbox can play seem to be reassuring to her.
2) She will constantly complain of the PITA 'inconvenience' having to plug it in on the drive, and unplug it when the box gets ripped from the wall as a reminder.
3) She won't get that satisfying burnt ember smell of the clutch when she holds it on the up ramps at Tesco multi-storey. Rolling Eyes

As of yet a cheap Nissan Leaf won't be on the drive for some time. nooo

The golf tbf would be perfect, they are giving them away with interest free finance taboos, obviously because for most the range isn’t enough. If it wasn’t for my long school run commute, I’d of taken one for sure...
the good news is it shows the days of the electric car are miles away in reality, the eco mentalists can play around with pointless hybrids for a while yet, I’m sticking the dreaded diesel for now.

Zingari
Brands Hatch
Brands Hatch

1993 Porsche 964 Anniversary

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get 60mpg+ out of my CooperSD which goes like stink, has BMW level luxury trim and a great sat nav I can update for £20. Plus it holds the road like shiote to a blanket and is low VED. Why on earth would I get rid of a derv Dont know

When I did the maths on a hybrid I'd still be paying the same in fuel costs.

FZP
Estoril

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hybrids are marketing filth at best. My brother bought a Lexus, i asked him why that route, his arguement was fuel economy. They claimed 3.3l/100km(71mpg), my response was no chance will that be achieved. Real world I said you'll get 2/3 or that economy. After a week of normal driving he rang me to advise I was spot on.
I'm not against electric cars for around town, but in the real world Eurojaunt, I feel it might struggle for practicality

spongebob squarepants
Long Beach

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep wobble over. But now I fancy a change Grin The C Class is actually bigger than I need, I fancy an A class now, need more mpg, and I like the all digital dash, can swap for nearly new, and it will sort of balance out the current investment in Herman (man maths) puh
Everyone wins.....

Gooner

2003 Porsche 996 GT3 Mk2

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, head above the parapet...

The petrolhead end of my garage comprises of a GT3, Boxster and a Yamaha R1 and they are all keepers. However, what was a diesel based daily driver selection is now a Range Rover phev and a Hyundai Kona electric. The RR is a no brainer, 400/300bhp (depending on the life in the battery) of full on waft ability. The most relaxing way to commute.

The Kona is a massive surprise. 250 miles of winter / dark real world range and fun off the mark too, plus amazing tech in the first usable EV with a realistic range and a sensible price point.

BiK benefits plus free charging at work make massive sense and an easy decision to bin off Beemer diesels and go EV.

Each to their own and horses for courses but, like it or not, EVs are going to appeal to more and more.
YZF R1

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: